Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Jippity Do Dah

Up at 4am, couldn't sleep with some weird and crazy dreams.

Rain is now a "four letter word" around here.  We finally got up to 77°F, but couldn't do a thing outside.  It's getting depressing, so I have been turning on every light in the house, putting on music and staying busy with cleaning.  Found some division flash cards and phonics - in the goodwill pile now.  

The heat lamp caused major dust in my utility room, so I'm glad I never got that room deep cleaned prior to the chicks being in there.  What a mess.  I can't wash coats and jackets until the rain stops either.

Let's just say that the clothesline is not in full swing.  I caved, washed bedding and towels, and used the (gulp) dryer.

Lost my "jippity" in this mass of rainy do-dah days.  Now the forecast says rain here almost every day until May 15th.  Not sure after that.



Question for soap makers out there?  I bought essential oils from Hoegger to make goat's milk soap, and they are about 5 years old.  What do you think the shelf life is on them?  I do not plan to have dairy goats in the near future either.  No source to get goat's milk right now either.    Or if they are still good, anyone have a recipe for soap making that doesn't use goat's milk (won't be the same, but I don't want to waste it if it's good oil).

4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

If the oils have been kept in a cool, dark place, I would bet they'd be just fine. You could always drop a note to Hoegger's to ask them. They've always been very good about communicating with us in the past.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea thanks. I tried to email them, but they have a captcha security thing to enter, and I have to download the program to do it. Not sure I want to.

Debby Flowers said...

HI Kristina - I would think that EO would be fine. Put some on a cotton ball or q-tip and seal it in a jar - check it later. That is what I would do anyway. Plus good old google of course.

Also, the internet is just lousy with soap recipes, also library books. What kind of oils do you want to use? You can make your own recipe and use an on-line lye calculator to get the lye amount right. Or just follow someone else's recipe. If you have a goat's milk soap recipe that you like, it should work with just distilled water, you just don't have to be as careful with the temperatures. Go for it!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Debby, I have a recipe with lye and goat's milk. I'm trying to locate some milk.