Skip to main content

This and That

I'm slowly trying to get order of the homestead.  Thankfully we hired our biker friend to mow the almost 6 acres on the only sunny dry day, while we were gone.  Whew.  


While I put loads of laundry on the line (cold but windy), I picked the asparagus.  It's still doing well for us.


Also, while the washer hummed away, I cooked up dandelions, potatoes, onion, bacon, jalapenos and eggs for a scramble.  Poor Youngest was complaining about missing my cooking.  Not that I was in the mood to jump back in, but it was done.

Hubby is back to work, and in full swing.  It's that time at work where they shut down and work double shifts, 16 hour days for 4-6 weeks.  


Not the greatest picture since it was super windy, but my bleeding hear is in full bloom right now.


A late bloomer.  Nice.  I hope it keeps spreading.  It's the only purple one I have right now.

Our youngest was being bullied (was threatened by a student) at school prior to leaving on our getaway.  So far things are good since we contacted the school, but I still want her to learn to fight.  I refuse to tell my kid to sit there and not fight back (if needed).  Things have really changed in school these days, and they do have outside cameras, but it's still a problem in schools. One girl was suspended and one in-school suspension, but that girl is back in class.  We'll see how the week goes.

Comments

Faith said…
Enjoy visiting here, burgundy is a favorite color of mine also. I do hope that the bullying stops for your child. Our son was bullied and the school did nothing about it, we had to go to the police,and the resource officer put a stop to it ASAP. The bully was not suspended or expelled but remained in the school. They said he had alot of issues, and it was noted on his school record. I like your rooster planter, would have picked that up myself had I seen it.
Faith said…
those bleeding hearts sure are pretty, they like shady don't they?
Thanks Faith, my bleeding heart is in the sun mostly, shade early in the morning though.
mamasmercantile said…
So sorry to hear about your daughter been bullied I certainly hope now that the school have been informed it will stop. The asparagus looks amazing, one of y favourites for this time of year.
Thanks mamasmercantile, the asparagus is still coming in.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart