Skip to main content

Rhubarb Crunch

I adapted this family recipe with homegrown, organic ingredients.  The original recipe is from my own Mom, and called for "shortening" so feel free to use organic shortening if you can't find real lard or process your own lard.

The crunch is also a thin dessert.  It is not thick and will go quickly, as it is so good.  


Rhubarb Crunch
1 cup flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
2 Tbsp. lard (or shortening)
1/2 tsp. salt

Cut lard into dry ingredients.  Add 1 beaten farm fresh egg.  Pat into the bottom of a 13 x 9 in. baking pan.  Scatter 2-3 cups of diced rhubarb over the crust.

Mix:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
Cut butter into mixture and sprinkle over the rhubarb.  Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes.

Comments

Faith said…
Thank you for sharing the recipe. We like Rhubarb at our house, and I'll be on the lookout for it, I like strawberry rhubarb pie...mmmm......
Thanks Faith. I have plans to make a strawberry rhubarb pie this year. Just need the time to do it.
mamasmercantile said…
Looks delicious. We are great fans of rhubarb and have some that needs using.
Pam said…
That looks like a Sunday treat, it will make a change from crumble or sponge pudding.
mamasmercantile, I also have a recipe for the BBQ sauce (on the blog front page "featured post"
Sam I Am...... said…
LOve rhubarb and I miss mine so much. i tried growing a special variety for AR but it died too...I can't get anything to grow down here. Once in awhile I can find frozen and then I stock up on it. Lucky you!
Sam I Am, I plan on freezing some too. I may have to buy some though to do that. I don't want to cut off too much of my own just yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart