Skip to main content

Birthday Flowers ~ Red Ladybugs





We woke up to fog this morning, and a two hour school delay.  As you can see, it was pretty foggy.  Yesterday the weather was wacky.  One minute we'd have jackets on, and then next our jackets were off were off.  The cool air kept returning every now and then, and then stayed for the evening.  The wind made it too uncomfortable to enjoy the porch, but Hubby got his birthday flowers he wanted.


All day he kept saying he wanted flowers for three of the hanging porch pots (you can tell that's our favorite place to relax, chat, and just rejuvenate).  He spent most of the early part of the day reading on the porch.  He's say to me, "don't you tell anyone I wanted flowers for my birthday."  Over and over he'd say that.  

Finally we went to the store and got his flowers.  He put them in the hanging pots, and came inside.  "Go take a picture of my flowers and post it on your blog."  So I did.  And here are the flowers.  

The are begonias.  Every year I am the one begging him to go flower shopping, and now it's him, ha ha!  Most years we put petunias or geraniums in the pots, but last year he got a few begonias, and we loved them.  They lasted all season, when the other flowers did not.  We have another hanging planter, but that will have to wait.




Everywhere I look, there are more and more red ladybugs here.  After I took the photo, I see there are two in the photo.  Does that mean we'll have a good streak of blessings this season?


 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Please wish your hubby happy birthday for me. (We're both Tauruses and I'm sure you're aware of the good and bad that means! Mostly good though, huh? Right? RIGHT??) He did a wonderful job of picking out his birthday flowers. One year I got my husband a Clematis for Father's Day and he loves it.
Susan said…
What a cozy, welcoming space your porch is - the flowers are beautiful! I am going with the season of blessings!
Mama Pea, I will tel him. We too are both May babies. Ha! My birthday is this weekend.
Susan, I would love to see us have a year of blessings. I can't believe the amount of red ladybugs I have seen.
Your porch looks so inviting!
I like the begonias... I bet they do well for you. The red is so pretty!
The ladybugs are everywhere here too... I believe it's a blessing just be able to see them...they're so dern small!
I'm surprised at the school delay due to fog. It's unheard of here.
Patricia, I saw more ladybugs today.
Lady Jane said…
Happy Birthday to your hubby. Those begonias are beautiful on your lovely porch.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart