Skip to main content

Weekend Update


Saturday we got a good amount of work done - one trip to recycling (huge load because for some reason we had a ton of cardboard), one trip to Goodwill, several bags to the garbage, swept up the back area by garage, washed curtains and windows. 

I found a cute tin for my tea, and for only $.50.  I just need to wash it up.


We finished up more work on Sunday. 
  
Hubby installed my new faucet - YAY!  Oh this is such a relief.  The old one ran water, but you could not move it right or left and the base to where it was attached to the sink was broke, not to mention the sprayer nozzle.  When anyone did dishes, washed veggies, or if I canned, there were usual some words said that can't be repeated.  Phew.  Now the kitchen can function so much better.

I'll be honest, I was sweating over this repair.  First, it did not get done Saturday.  Sunday arrived, and the mower broke down, not once, but twice, so Hubby was outside doing that. Phew.  It's done.  I love the higher spigot for filling my canner pot.
 

I dug up our first carrots this season.  They are short, but fat.  I shredded them up with a cabbage, onion and green pepper.  I then added some homemade teriyaki sauce and cooked sausage.  We ate it in soft tortilla wraps.  Yum.
 

While sitting for a spell on my front porch Sunday, I noticed this zinnia.  I had received some seeds at a thank you, and this might be from the packet I planted.


I noticed a few more new blooms around the porch too.  I'm almost done weeding it, and after today's rain, it should be much easier than Sunday's weeding.  The ground was hard as a rock.

I was tickled to finally see a Gladiolus start to bloom.  I lost one due to a dog (while I was away on one of the trips, and the kids no better, but oh well).  I have not had Gladys in my garden for a few years now.

 
 Today I am thankful for:

~ Mom and Dad (they know why)
~ a new faucet
~ the garage area cleaned out and organized
~ iced water
~ mullein tea leaves (this tea is amazing, and thank you Carolyn for mentioning it on your blog!)
~ time to sit and crochet on Sunday
~ rain, the garden(s) needed it badly
~ continued garden bounty
~ flowers
~ YouTube (yea, can you believe this is on my list?), for weeks and weeks (he's been a little busy) I asked Hubby to show me how to re-string the weed wacker, and finally I sat down with Youtube and taught myself how.

Comments

Susan said…
I love your new faucet! There is nothing more frustrating than plumbing problems... I haven't seen a zinnia like that - it's very pretty. I will have to remember to look for them in the spring.
Unknown said…
I have a similar faucet and it's great! It the little things that can drive you crazy!
Liz said…
I went with a higher spout too! Easier to fill pans for sure! I bought glad bulbs but never got them planted. Oh youtube has been a godsend when we had a push mower!
Your flowers and your tea tin are both so pretty.
You get a lot done!
Yes! I believe You tube is on your gratitude list... don't you love learning new things there?
I like the replay button!
EMMA said…
Very cute tea tin!
If it wasn't for youtube my knitting wouldn't have moved beyond scarfs!!
Katmom said…
K, I luv your sweet tea tin,, so sunny, just makes you want to sit and enjoy a cup of tea! hugz
>^..^<
Your tin is so lovely!! Well done you for fixing the weed wacker yourself!! It is great when you work something like that out isn't it! xx

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart