Skip to main content

Weekend Update


Saturday we got a good amount of work done - one trip to recycling (huge load because for some reason we had a ton of cardboard), one trip to Goodwill, several bags to the garbage, swept up the back area by garage, washed curtains and windows. 

I found a cute tin for my tea, and for only $.50.  I just need to wash it up.


We finished up more work on Sunday. 
  
Hubby installed my new faucet - YAY!  Oh this is such a relief.  The old one ran water, but you could not move it right or left and the base to where it was attached to the sink was broke, not to mention the sprayer nozzle.  When anyone did dishes, washed veggies, or if I canned, there were usual some words said that can't be repeated.  Phew.  Now the kitchen can function so much better.

I'll be honest, I was sweating over this repair.  First, it did not get done Saturday.  Sunday arrived, and the mower broke down, not once, but twice, so Hubby was outside doing that. Phew.  It's done.  I love the higher spigot for filling my canner pot.
 

I dug up our first carrots this season.  They are short, but fat.  I shredded them up with a cabbage, onion and green pepper.  I then added some homemade teriyaki sauce and cooked sausage.  We ate it in soft tortilla wraps.  Yum.
 

While sitting for a spell on my front porch Sunday, I noticed this zinnia.  I had received some seeds at a thank you, and this might be from the packet I planted.


I noticed a few more new blooms around the porch too.  I'm almost done weeding it, and after today's rain, it should be much easier than Sunday's weeding.  The ground was hard as a rock.

I was tickled to finally see a Gladiolus start to bloom.  I lost one due to a dog (while I was away on one of the trips, and the kids no better, but oh well).  I have not had Gladys in my garden for a few years now.

 
 Today I am thankful for:

~ Mom and Dad (they know why)
~ a new faucet
~ the garage area cleaned out and organized
~ iced water
~ mullein tea leaves (this tea is amazing, and thank you Carolyn for mentioning it on your blog!)
~ time to sit and crochet on Sunday
~ rain, the garden(s) needed it badly
~ continued garden bounty
~ flowers
~ YouTube (yea, can you believe this is on my list?), for weeks and weeks (he's been a little busy) I asked Hubby to show me how to re-string the weed wacker, and finally I sat down with Youtube and taught myself how.

Comments

Susan said…
I love your new faucet! There is nothing more frustrating than plumbing problems... I haven't seen a zinnia like that - it's very pretty. I will have to remember to look for them in the spring.
Unknown said…
I have a similar faucet and it's great! It the little things that can drive you crazy!
Liz said…
I went with a higher spout too! Easier to fill pans for sure! I bought glad bulbs but never got them planted. Oh youtube has been a godsend when we had a push mower!
Your flowers and your tea tin are both so pretty.
You get a lot done!
Yes! I believe You tube is on your gratitude list... don't you love learning new things there?
I like the replay button!
EMMA said…
Very cute tea tin!
If it wasn't for youtube my knitting wouldn't have moved beyond scarfs!!
Katmom said…
K, I luv your sweet tea tin,, so sunny, just makes you want to sit and enjoy a cup of tea! hugz
>^..^<
Your tin is so lovely!! Well done you for fixing the weed wacker yourself!! It is great when you work something like that out isn't it! xx

Popular posts from this blog

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

New Recipe Tried and other Bits

  I tried a new granola recipe and boy it's good.  First, it's a recipe from Mennonite Girls and Cook, and called "Backpack Snacks" online.  It calls for granola, so I used my homemade granola that we love.  Picture is the dry ingredients. Second, I pressed the final mixture into a 9 x 9, parchment lined baking dish instead of rolling it into balls.  The color of these photos are all different, because of the time of day, and how dark the house was from the thick Canadian smoke that was still outside at the time. These cut very nicely, and were very good, straight from the refrigerator.  It was hard to eat just one of them.  I will be making this again, and switching out the peanuts with walnuts, and switching out the raisins with dates.  Oh my!  The binder is honey and peanut butter. These are perfect for your hiking days, camping, your grandkids, or just for snacks when you want one. The rain arrived thank goodness, and washed the smoke in...