Skip to main content

Good Summer Food


The weatherman said we'd get rain, and they sky surely looked like it.  We got a few sprinkles here and there, but not what we really needed.  I started the day by spending some morning time on the porch, while the kiddos slept in.



I got a break from outdoor work, and canning, and cooked up some garden recipes.  First, I made Fresh Dill and Cucumber Salad (mmmm!).   The dressing for this salad uses a teaspoon of raw honey.

Then I made our cauliflower crust pizzas, topped with garden delights.  Planning meals has been pretty fun this summer so far.

Cauliflower pizza crusts are easy to remember - 1, 1, 1.
1 cup of cauliflower (I use my food processor to finely chop it)
1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg


Mix together.  Spray non-stick spray onto baking sheets, and bake at 450°F for 12-15 minutes.  Spread mixture out (about 8 inches in diameter) and top with herbs of your choice.  I simply use homegrown, dried oregano.  Remove from the oven and add your sauce and toppings.

Place back in the oven for about 10 minutes or less, or until cheese is melted.  Note: original recipe states to place it under the broiler for a bit, but I don't mess with that.  It's up to you.  I don't, simply because we make about 6 of these pizzas.  You can double the recipe and make a larger pizza too. 


If you are looking for more beet recipes, we love to roast beets with onion, thyme, rosemary and olive oil.

We place the ingredients on pieces of foil, closing it up to make a foil packet.  I place them on baking pan with a 1-inch side, and roast for about 1 hour at 400°F.   I do not measure, I simply slice up beets and onions, top with olive oil, then a small amount of thyme.  As for the rosemary, I put full sprigs (about 2 per foil packet) on top then close the foil up.  I discard the rosemary when serving. 

I almost forgot about Squash Cornbread this year.  It's wonderful and a great way to use squash.  I think I'll add that to this weeks menus planning.  I might even bake it tonight.

Update on the racket out back:  We met with the township last night.  I'm glad we did.  Things should start flowing forward (and hopefully quicker) now.   Keep praying for us.

Comments

Sandra said…
I am going to have to make your cucumber and dill salad, sounds divine. So do the cauliflower pizzas, you know I keep hearing about those but have yet to give them a go.

Sounds like you're enjoy delicious garden goodies :) And I love beets, LOVE beets, pretty much about the only one in my family who does though, will have to try and roast them :)
Sandra, even some of my kids look forward to the cucumber salad. Hubby loves it. The pizzas are pretty easy to make. The recipe states to rice the cauliflower, but I just chop it to bits in my food processor. I look forward to them every summer we grow cauliflower.
Mama Pea said…
So, so glad to hear things are starting to look better on "the racket" scene! At lunch today, I was telling my hubby about all that ugly-bugly stuff going on by your.

I'm going to make the cucumber salad when our cucs get sized up . . . still just about pickle size right now.

Thanks for sharing so many of your unique, tasty recipes.
Mama Pea, we hope to see some changes out back soon. You are welcome for the recipes. I love trying everyone else's too. I still need to make those millet burgers.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart