Skip to main content

Five for Me and Other Tidbits




Five minutes for Me ~ This morning's sunrise, sipping coffee on the front porch.



If you wondering, I am not canning today.  

I was thrilled to Skype with Daughter and see how she was doing.  We do miss not having contact with Son but hope to hear from him soon.  


We were going to go camping this weekend, but had to cancel due to Hubby's work schedule (unexpectedly at the last minute).  That's okay.  I just go with the flow around here. 

Staying home forced me to clean off a table to play cards with Hubby, so we could have an "in house" date night.   

However, in order to clean off the table, I had to put crafting supplies back in their homes, put the kids military photos in a safer place, put clothes away, and so on.  This threw me into a tizzy of cleaning my bedroom, which by the way is a total mess.  It's so bad, my 12 year-old told me, "You know, one of these days I'm gonna sneak in here and pull a "Big Bang Theory" on you!"


(If you don't watch the Big Bang Theory, he sneaks into Penny's apartment while she's sleeping and cleans it.)

Back to the "tizzy."  Just that little bit of decluttering energized me into getting the house in order.  Oh boy, it needs it.  Stuff here and there and everywhere.  

It's a holiday weekend, and the kids just want to sit around and do nothing.  Now I could be really mean, and go buy a few more bushels of corn this weekend.  My kids would love me for all that shucking (Bwahahaha!) We've already been dibbing into our winter supply so we could replenish it (I could be that mean, ha ha!).


Comments

Mama Pea said…
Hey, if you can get by with taking the weekend off, more power to you! But woe is me (just kidding, not really), I've got stuff in the garden that should have been taken care of days ago so I must push on and hopefully be in better shape come the first of next week. It's all good though . . . having crops to harvest and process in the garden is very welcomed this year!

Have a wonderful weekend, and I will, too! :o)
Sam I Am...... said…
We're finally getting some rain here and cooler temps so I am getting ready for Fall and wanting to clean and organize and put some fall scents in the warmers.
I want to clean too but I think decluttering is in order first.
I thought it might have been you that had told me about the homesteading journal book but I wasn't sure and I wasn't even sure it was the same book. Glad you mentioned it! It looks really good. Are you on Good Reads?
I hope you and your family have a great weekend together no matter what you do.
Mama Pea, I have a boat load of tomatoes to pick, but put it off until Hubby can help. That may not happen. He's very tired from work.

Sam I Am, I am on Good Reads, but have not put it back on my blog. I've been considering it, but lack reading time over summer.
Susan said…
Hey, isn't that why a person has kids? So you can make them shuck corn? If not, someone forgot to tell my mother! I know what you mean about a cleaning tizzy - once you get started, it's hard to stop. It's just the getting started...

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart