Skip to main content

Blooms ~ Hummingbird ~ Box from Aunt ~ Conversations on the Porch

I took some time to "smell the roses" yesterday.  I walked my flower beds after lunch.







While out taking photographs of new blooms in the flower beds, a butterfly came to visit me.


Then along came a humming bird (on the same exact flowers) for a visit.  Look directly above the "P" in Pioneer.  It's the only photo I got of him/her.


A box arrived in the mail yesterday.  It was from my Aunt who had recently passed away.  She had it packed and ready to go, but had not shipped it yet.  My wonderful Uncle sent it to me.


Inside, she had returned the jelly jars from the jelly I gifted her, and they did not come back empty.  With her generous heart (and her creative soul), she filled each jar - buttons, popcorn, tea bags, and orange candy slices.


Not only that, but she sent two magazines and a letter.  Inside the letter, she passed down two of my Grandma's recipes (her mother's).  In the magazines, there are fun creative ideas for using mason jars, along with canning recipes. 


She also sent me mini mason jar salt and pepper shakers, and she filled them both.   My old one's badly needed replaced, and these are prefect.  I love them!

I will really miss reading her handwritten letters, having conversations through those letters, surprises, and her positive, jovial spirit. 

Last night, while dinner was baking in the oven, I spent some time on the porch.  The humidity lifted and there was a nice breeze out.  


Timmy wanted in my lap so badly, and he was at one point, playing with my yarn.  


I opened my letter from my Aunt and read it.  The butterfly was back around the porch again too.

 
I'm really going to miss my Aunt.  Have I said that already?   Hubby was home from work, and joined me on the porch where we ate our dinner.   I told him about my Aunt and her about her personality and how Mom and I were discussing three words to describe her.  

I'll miss her tips and advice.  In this last letter to me, she told me . . .

"I know you have been having a lot to deal with, but one day at a time gets it all done!  I like to picture myself in an inner tube, floating down the river with the current, when I get to feeling overwhelmed.  Seems to keep me calm and grounded!"


Hubby and I spent the remainder of the evening talking together on the porch.   It was nice to relax on the porch, and without the humidity.  It was nice to have time after canning and dinner to relax and reflect.  I finished this dishcloth, made using scraps of leftover yarn (from other projects).
I'm following my Aunt's advice every starting yesterday. . .

"Take care and find 5 minutes every day for just you!"

Comments

Susan said…
Boy, she sounds like one in a million. I bet you will miss her - but I am sure she left you (and her family) with lots of wonderful memories. I love LOVE that dishcloth! You really make me want to learn to crochet. Maybe this winter....
Mama Pea said…
Everything you did yesterday was a lovely way to honor your aunt. I'll bet it put a big smile on her face as she looked down upon you.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart