Skip to main content

Salsa Tasting



Okay, I lied about letting the zucchini salsa sit.  We popped open a jar already.  Now, I did pretty much follow the recipe, but I diced up 2 jalapenos and 2 hot banana peppers and added them (to the marinade early on). 

If you like medium to hot salsa, definitely add some hot peppers.  We loved this salsa.  It's very thick, so I think I can safely leave the corn starch out next batch (if I get enough zucchini to make it again).  I drained the veggies very well and I also drained my roma tomatoes after I chopped them up, before boiling everything.



My youngest said to me, while standing in my bedroom door, "Mom! What did you do?"  

She was tasting the salsa for the first time and loved it!  It's a winner recipe.  I do can zucchini relish too,  but I just haven't gotten around to it.  We really like that too.

In anticipation of another loud, miserable weekend, I enjoyed breakfast on the porch Friday morning.  I thanked God, prayed, enjoyed my food, and took time to soak up the peace.   We keep praying that the right person(s) puts a stop to the mud bog.  I know if it was in the backyard of any paid county official, it would not be continuing at this length.  There is a tractor pull going on this weekend, so I hope all of them will be there instead of in my backyard.

About 11:20am today, the mud bog guy turned up his speakers and it was so loud it made me jump while picking tomatoes in the garden.  One of the dogs barked at the noise, and became very agitated.  He got on his microphone and I distinctly heard my name and "thank you" and most likely said Hubby's name first.  I'm sure the town nearby is fed up with him by now too.  It's possible that he's harassing us because someone did shut him down.  I didn't get his voice on film, but I did get the noise, and I do see 4-wheelers passing by already today.  



And this post is as random as the last few - cut more spearmint to dry.  My goal was to cut lavender buds, but I waited too long.  Will cut some after the next buds arrive.  

Comments

EMMA said…
This mud bog guy is a real problem, it must be driving you nuts.
I hope they figure out that situation for you.....how frustrating. On the bright side that salsa looks amazing as does the spearmint! You hang in there... I believe good things will come for you all! Nicole xo
Sandra said…
That sounds so good.....
Unknown said…
Looks good! How's it going with the wacky neighbor???
Liz said…
Unbelievable this is still going on! And to hear your name over a loud speaker...ugh!
The mud bog is definitely a problem. It's making our home not a home anymore, and he needs to be shut down by officials very soon. School starts next Wed. here and the kids will not have any peace and it could affect their mental state and grades. I am praying daily that someone does something. I am sure the nearby town mayor could hear everything yesterday. It went well into the night and up to 1:00am agitating the dogs.
RB said…
There are so many things salsa is good with. Sometimes I've even used it in place of salad dressings, and it's yummy.

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart