Skip to main content

Homestead and Family Tidbits


The kids took advantage of the snowfall, and did some indoor creative artwork.  And, as you can see, I shoveled out my clothesline.  It was actually nice in the sun that particular day.  We've had 2 days of school delays, but no closings.  Last night my son's car went off the road on his way to work (3rd shift), but thanks to extended family, we got him safely back on the road (without injuries).



Being "snowed in" means being creative with stocked up food.  We cooked up the last of our homegrown pinto beans, with a few onions, for bean burritos.  Yum! 

At the last minute last night, our 11 year-old announced she needed a Brazilian food to bring to school.  She googled "last minute, no time to shop  easy Brazilian food" and came up with an easy Brazilian Cheese bread ( Pão de Queijo).  Very easy, and we luckily had all the ingredients.



Our 14 year-old got out the water color paints and had some fun.  She claims she is now addicted to painting. Ha ha!

Our 16 year-old caught the Christmas spirit and made some more buckeyes.  Shhh, don't tell Hubby, we hid them until next week - he he!

Our 11 year-old is a bit sick, and has been continuing to do her daily exercise, even though I told her to take a day off.  She's determined to keep her routine.  I wonder where she gets her stubbornness?  He he.


Winston spent an entire day under the Christmas tree.  One day it was Tiger's favorite chair.  He continues to enjoy looking out one window when we first get out of bed.  He begs for his morning loving from everyone, and this morning followed our 14 year-old around begging.  He later gave up on her, and entertained himself by batting around a piece of dog food.  He's now entertaining himself with a sliver of silver wrapping paper. 


Our 19 year-old came over with her boyfriend for dinner last night.  She fell in love with Winston and begged us to keep him until her military basic training is over.  I hated to tell her, that I was not doing that, as I plan (sigh) to re-home him sooner than that.  That's the plan anyway.


"Mom there's something banging around in the goat/chicken barn, and I'm going to bed," announced my tired son.

"Prim must be out of her pen again."

Primrose is one hilarious goat.  She can jump out of her pen, get some hay, make a mess, and jump right back in.  I guess we better go check on her.



Comments

Willow said…
Glad all was well that ended well .
Be safe in your snow globe !
Michelle said…
Glad to hear no one was hurt. all our snow is melted.
Carolyn said…
Glad your son didn't get hurt & help was there.

Beautiful water colors!
Liz said…
Loved that you dug your cloths line out! lol...Glad your son wasn't hurt.
EMMA said…
Glad to hear that you son wasn't injured, hope there wasn't too much damage to the car either.
Love your daughters watercolors!
We're smogged-in at the moment - a lot less fun than being in snowed in!
Take care.
Sam I Am...... said…
Thank goodness your son is alright. Your kids definitely know how to entertain themselves...what a great quality.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart