Skip to main content

Oven Overtime

( mugs that were a gift from my 19 year-old)

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.  I knew I was in trouble, when I heard the coffee cup hit my nightstand at 6:00am, and the curtains where carelessly tossed open (despite it was pitch dark outside, ha ha!).

 

Ugh, our youngest was definitely acting like a 12 year-old, ha ha!  Up at the crack of dawn and then later, afternoon naps.

Just to update you all, we did wake up in new jammies, and wore them all day long.  I baked breakfast in them, baked cookies in them, made our dinner in them, ate the dinner in them, and went back to bed in them. Ha ha!

On the morning of the 26th, we found a dead mouse under the Christmas tree.  A present from one of the cats possibly?  I don't know which cat got him, but we thought it was pretty funny.  Good kitties.


We are playing around with new cookie recipes, and this one did not make the "cut" this year.  Blech.   I made Bourbon Balls vs. Rum balls, and they were not so good.  In fact, pretty nasty.  Not sure if it was because of the cocoa/bourbon combo, or the strong flavor.  

My 17 year-old is helping me bake almost all of this year's Christmas cookies, and that is a huge help.  Next on the list is to try a new lemon cookie recipe.

Our Christmas is still lingering here.  We have two more family gatherings this week.   If I don't get toffee made today, it won't get made.  I made the mistake of making it one year, and now everyone looks forward to it.  It is good, but the girls have yet to learn how to make it.

Well, the "cookie baker" is already up and at it....I better get crackin' on my chores.

Comments

Jen said…
The mug is beautiful! When it's not Christmas my kitchen is decorated in chickens. During Christmas we have gingerbread men/women.

Happy New Year!
Unknown said…
I'm baking less each year with the kids grown up. Now some of them are baking and bringing me goodies! It's great! Love the cup:) I just bought a new chicken dishtowel yesterday, cute...
EMMA said…
Busy busy - as usual!!
Love that mug.
Do your kids clean up after baking? mine don't yet!! - will be a huge help when/if they do!
Emma, my 17 year-old is helping wash a lot of dishes this season. It's been so helpful.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart