Skip to main content

A Library Run


Remember those 25 library books I had out?  Well, one of them was Stop the Clock Cooking, by Cheryl Forberg, R.D.  This cookbook has many healthy recipes, which are full of age-defying ingredients.  I had to try a few.  There is even a grape jelly recipe that uses sorghum in it.  So what did I try?


Cranberry-Grape Juice.  Easy, all natural, and delicious.  I love juice, but the sugar is what stops me.  This recipe simply takes unsweetened grape juice to a new level of flavor. I used all organic ingredients.

Cranberry-Grape Juice
3 cups fresh cranberries, or 1 (12 oz.) frozen bag
1 qt. unsweetened Concord grape juice
Pinch salt
1 tsp. grated citrus peel (lemon, lime, orange or tangerine)

Rinse berries and transfer to a 2-qt. nonreactive saucepan.  Add juice, salt, and citrus peel.  Bring juice to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until the cranberries burst, about 10 minutes.  Strain the juice (without pressing berries) through a cheesecloth-lined sieve.  Chill juice and serve cold.  Note: Save your cranberries for a jam recipe the author also includes in the book).

Will I make it again?  Maybe.  Organic concord grape juice, is not cheap, and you can't get organic cranberries for much longer here.  I'd have to buy up, and freeze them, and my freezer space is small right now.


There are more recipes I would love to try.  Even some breakfast recipes such as Whole-Grain Flaxjacks (using a sorghum), and a cornmeal waffle recipe that includes a sorghum syrup topping.  However, most of the recipes in this book have a long list of ingredients.  I didn't check it out because of the title either.  Sometimes you just find healthy recipes in some of the oddest books.

While returning books at the library, I ended up bringing more home - he he!  Hey, at least my family can say we help keep the library open.  Right?

Hubby and I got back to the gym, but man I am tired.  His stomach is still a bit on edge, but we are both able to eat certain foods.  I think an afternoon nap is in order.  I'm not sure about this 4:30am wake-up call anymore.  I guess we'll see how it goes.   We have lots to do this weekend, so it will be interesting.  I think an early bedtime is in order too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart