Skip to main content

Banging on Pots and Pans ~ Bringing in the New Year

My 17 year-old helped a lot with this year's cookie tradition.  She also wanted to add a "lemon" cookie to our baking this year.  We searched the internet and found Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze (Giada, Food Network).

These were delicious.  We will keep this recipe for future holiday baking (and more).  We will however, make them half the size next time.  And of course we used organic lemon juice too.

During summer, I plan to bake these using our homemade ricotta cheese (made from our goat's milk), and organic (or homemade butter).

Tidbits . . . 

It's a whopping 2°F wind chill today.  We got a bit of snow last night too.  Thank goodness my son re-stocked the wood pile.

I went and got myself a head cold, and am sorry I didn't get my elderberry elixir made yet.  I best get on that.  Nobody likes it when Mom is sick around here.  I tend to get grouchy.

I was actually up early this morning, searching pattern sites for a baby blanket for my brother and his wife.  Unfortunately, the best patterns (in my opinion) are in pattern books at the library. They however, are closed.  They actually closed from Dec.23rd, and will not reopen until Jan. 6th.  I guess it was to help with cut backs that they are still dealing with.  Unfortunately for them, my kids (and myself) would have visited often this Christmas school break, and gave them business.

It's hard to believe it's the last day of 2013.  I picked up my new 2014 planner and hope to chill-out later and work on it. More on that later.

Tonight I plan to stay safe, and hang out at home with the kids.  I wonder if they will grab my pots and pans (like I did at their age), and run around the house (outside) and bang on them with wooden spoons, screaming "HAPPY NEW YEAR!"  Of course back then, I lived in the city and it was much more fun to make noise at that time of night, ha ha!  Who knows, if I feel better, I may just join them for ol' time's sake.





Comments

Carolyn said…
I use goat milk ricotta for a LOT of stuff, the cookies look yummy. Even if they are big :)
Michelle said…
Hope you have a great New Year.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart