Skip to main content

Gotcha!

"Yikes! She caught me!"

Jasper has been more skittish than before, ever since the propane "boom" we had.  He walks around looking startled by any little movement or noise.  I have such a hard time getting a photo of him.

The other day, before the school bus arrived, I was able to snap this photograph.  He was actually playing until he saw me get down to his level and snap a few shots. Ha ha!

As for today's weather here. . . . .

 
Today, we did not get snow, we got freezing rain.  Everything is a sheet of ice in our area.  I warned Hubby that it was slick, and we should reconsider driving to the gym.  I had let Alias out, and he did the "Bambi" thing, you know, where the legs go out in different directions.  Poor guy.  But....the next poor guy was Hubby (who didn't listen to me).  I was just inside the door, and he had just walked out.  Or should I say skated out?  There he was, flat on his back.  

We made it there, but my car skated right past our exit road, and had to take the next.  Leaving the gym, we saw one car half off the road, with the back tires up in the air.  We stopped, but there was no one in the car, and thankfully they did not hit a pole.  

School is delayed 2 hours, but once they get salt out on the roads, they should be good.  Temperatures are to be in the 30's and the sidewalk I salted is already melting.

We may have another barn cat that adopted us. Or it could be from a town not far, simply looking for shelter and food for the winter.  It's been up at the house eating, and Timmy, one of our barn cats, was already sitting next to him/her trying to make friends.  Timmy likes everyone. It's too soon to tell if it's a he or she, and it looks just like Tiger.  

I've been doing some inventory on handmade/homemade Christmas gifts, and I am short by 2 knitted dishcloths.  I'm using the leftover scraps of yarn, to crochet "scrap" dishcloths.  I should have an update on those soon.

The chickens are still producing eggs in abundance.  We are very grateful for it too.  We can go through a dozen at breakfast alone here. 

The wood stove is still working great, despite the inspection reports we had.  I am thankful for the wood we stocked up on.  It's about time to order a propane fill-up (only runs the hot water heater), so I am praying the prices will be low.

Comments

EMMA said…
What a super cut cat picture!
Take care on the ice!
Mama Pea said…
I backed out on a trip down the highway today because a friend stopped by and said it was slick snow and glare ice. Geesh, in this kind of weather if one doesn't HAVE to go out, why chance it. (Says this scaredy cat driver on ice.)

Our hens are molting and we're getting only 2-3 eggs most days from a dozen hens. I have a back log in the spare refridge which I'm tending to hoard right now.

Stay warm and safe with all that ice around you.
We always seem to get ice, no snow.
It is difficult to drive on. We just stay home. Not worth the pain and agony(your poor hubby) and perhaps the cost of vehicle repairs--compared to a days work.
The kitty is cute.
I hope propane prices are good for you...they're awful here! (and we received a "price break" with our last order of fuel)
Take care and stay warm y'all!
Pat
Beansieleigh said…
What a cute picture of your cat! It would make a cute Christmas card, or maybe a picture-Christmas ornament! I confess, I don't know anything about propane prices; but I've known people with wood stoves, and just WISH I had one! Dear Son and I can only the appreciate the smell of one when we're outdoors, walking our dog 'round the neighborhood. (And now with the temps dipping further downward into the twenties, we're just staying IN! Upper-thirty-degree temps are my limit for long leisurely walks!) Keep warm, and have a great day! ~tina
Sam I Am...... said…
I hope you have a carbon monoxide alarm. I just found out my fireplace insert isn't installed correctly and I could be getting carbon monoxide. Who knew? I have an alarm in the bedroom but he said I need one next to the fireplace. I've not been burning so now my low heat bill will be higher but if we lose power I will be using it regardless! LOL!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart