Skip to main content

More Canning and Garden Bounty


I woke up Tuesday morning with a stuffy nose.  Not good.  I had trouble sleeping on account of congestion.  I was up early to drink my honey/ACV/water mix, hoping to prevent it from getting worse.

I spent the day canning more Queen Anne's Lace Jelly.  I plan to give samples out at the next Farmer's Market day.  I was told that we can give them out, and I several people interested in trying it.  I was disappointed to see the color more yellow than pink this time.  I think it has to do with the amount of purple centers in the flower that I put in.

I canned more sweet pickle relish too.  Long day for sure. In between that, I cooked up 7 pounds of ground beef for homemade sloppy joes.

The weather is much cooler at nights here.  I am yearning to go camping.

All but two of my zucchini plants died - squash bugs!  They are on my heirloom baking pumpkins now.  I spray every day with a natural spray, and even dust with flour/black pepper.  I hope to stay ahead of them.


The heirloom watermelon looks great.
  

The fall planting of green beans and peas looks good too.  We decided to skip on fall lettuce this year.  

Cabbage is doing pretty well, but a few died during our season when rain was lacking. 

I spent most of yesterday working on some crocheted items for the Farmer's Market and decided to let my tomatoes ripen another day. 

However, today thunderstorms are in the forecast.  I will be canning up a one of the two 10 lb. boxes of blueberries I picked up.  I'm lucky to find them this late in the season.  If it's not raining later tonight, I'll be picking pears from my husband's nephew's trees.

Comments

Unknown said…
No rin here either. My cabbages have never formed heads (due to the heat?), and they had plenty of water, but I'm still hoping!
SofiaP said…
Not sure how many plants you have being attacked by squash beetles but we found the only way to keep ahead of them is to get rid of the eggs. We go out in the evening and hunt for eggs. We use duct tape to get them off the leaves. We also place a board in the garden and the adults often go under it. So we lift it up, kill them all and put the board back.
Thank you for those tips. Great ideas.
Candy C. said…
I hope you can get ahead of those stupid squash bugs! I'll have to remember SofiaP's tips myself! :)
Try wood ashes on the bugs. Spread it around the plants and on the leaves. It works on my potato bugs and cabbage flies.
Just a though, not positives it works.
We do have wood ashes here too. Thanks for all your tips. These are great!

Popular posts from this blog

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

New Recipe Tried and other Bits

  I tried a new granola recipe and boy it's good.  First, it's a recipe from Mennonite Girls and Cook, and called "Backpack Snacks" online.  It calls for granola, so I used my homemade granola that we love.  Picture is the dry ingredients. Second, I pressed the final mixture into a 9 x 9, parchment lined baking dish instead of rolling it into balls.  The color of these photos are all different, because of the time of day, and how dark the house was from the thick Canadian smoke that was still outside at the time. These cut very nicely, and were very good, straight from the refrigerator.  It was hard to eat just one of them.  I will be making this again, and switching out the peanuts with walnuts, and switching out the raisins with dates.  Oh my!  The binder is honey and peanut butter. These are perfect for your hiking days, camping, your grandkids, or just for snacks when you want one. The rain arrived thank goodness, and washed the smoke in...