Skip to main content

Dehydrating Potatoes

  I'm dehydrating potatoes this year.


I have a 4 tray Excalibur dehydrator.  I filled those trays up in no time, and will have more to dehydrate during the next few days.

I could not get any tips from anyone that had dehydrated grated potatoes, so I went to the Internet ( along with my dehydrator book ).

I boiled the potatoes with skins on, and tested them with a bamboo skewer.  I made sure I removed them as soon as they were cooked all the way through.

I put my potatoes in an ice bath to cool them faster, then transferred them into a glass bowl.  They went into my refrigerator over night.

Early the next morning, before sunrise, I peeled and grated some of the potatoes, and set my dehydrator between 120° and 125° (I read that anything warmer will cause the potatoes to harden on the outside, leaving the centers soft).




I was up before the sunrise, and took some new photos of the moon.  I'll be adding one to my Flickr page:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/ (be sure to check it later).  When I went out to milk the goats, I saw an opportunity to take photos.

The weather today is hot, hot, hot. Humid, humid, humid. No rain yet either, but hopefully soon.


I'm still looking for a good hot pepper jelly recipe.  The first jelly I made was an apricot-jalapeno (good, but not hot), then I made pepper jelly with green peppers and jalapeno - not hot enough.  I'm going to try adding some cayenne or other hot pepper.  I even left the seeds in the second jelly, and it still was not hot enough.  I guess I'll keep trying and hopefully be successful at it. 

We brought home a full bag of cauliflower and 5 more dozen ears of corn.  Guess you know what I'll be doing soon - freezing vegetables.  I hope to make a few pizza's with the cauliflower.

Now, I must go re-water the goats and chickens and see what needs to be done here at home.

I hope to retreat to bed early, but first watch a bit of Little House.

Comments

Michelle said…
I tried dehydrating potatoes but mine doesn't have a temp control, so they turned out brown and dry. It may be time for a new one. Glad to hear everything sold well for you. Have a great weekend.
Laurie said…
Krstina,
Glad you had a good day at the farmers market, despite the heat and humidity. Sounds as if your weather there is just about the same as ours here in New York- STICKY!!
Good Luck with the pepper jelly!
Hugs,
Laurie
caprejan said…
Ive made a similar chutney and added some hot curry powder (to your taste also have made some that wasnt hot enough but added a whole chili pepper or two in each jar, looked and tasted good.
Can I also ask what you do with your cauliflower ive found it goes soggy when its frozen?

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart