Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, July 23, 2010

93°F in my house today ~ Upstairs is sweltering

I'm so glad that the stray puppy found us last Tuesday, before this extreme heat wave became worse.  She may have not made it if she had not found my daughter.  The doggie swimming pool, which is a simple small plastic portable pool, has been used hourly today.  I'm so glad we could offer the dogs a way to cool off.  After today's newspaper article that is on the front page, I have doubts that the humane society will take the pup (if we don't find the owner).  The article talked about all the animals they have taken in, had surgery on, and those that still need homes.  All we can do is hope.

I'm about to take the garden hose to the girls because they are getting ornery. The heat is making the bees go crazy too.  My 11 year-old daughter got stung by one just sitting still today.

The dogs aren't the only ones we worry about in this heat.  Thanks to the wonderful information from my farmgirl sisters, I have found out that our chickens can die from heat exhaustion.  We have a fan running in the barn and have even given them bowls of crushed ice.

The barn cats are cooling under shaded plants and won't come out until the rain cools the air.  

The garden has blessed us yet again, so many meals are planned when the temperature drops.  Including my mother's zucchini bread.  Yum!  I'm not turning on my oven until the rain arrives.  I am seriously considering the costs of a summer kitchen.  It would work perfect for us during hot summer days.

Ice cold sliced watermelon sounds pretty good for dinner right now.

No comments: