Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Turnip and Beet Casserole ~ My own version

If you are a pioneer at heart, and have turnips growing in your garden this year, you'll like this recipe I created.  The only thing the kids complained about, was the appearance of it.  I think I may make this again, by boiling the beets and turnips separately, and then layer them, but that would mean mixing ingredients differently too.  Here is my delicious version of a Turnip and Beet Casserole.



TURNIP AND BEET CASSEROLE

4 med. turnips, peeled and diced
3 small or 2 medium beets, peeled and diced

Boil turnips and beets in a saucepan with just enough water to cover them.  Once it comes to a boil, cover and turn the temperature down to low heat until turnips and beets are tender/soft enough to mash.  Approximately 15-20 minutes.
Drain and mash them together.*
Mix in:
1 farm fresh egg, beaten
1/3 cup of white granulated sugar*
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. organic butter
 Transfer mixture to an 8-inch by 8-inch (2 qt.) glass baking dish, sprayed with non-stick organic olive oil spray.
Sprinkle dried Thyme and chopped Rosemary over the top.*
Bake casserole at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.

Notes:
~It is just as delicious to hand mash the vegetables, leaving small bits in it.
~Sugar substitute can be used or amount can be lowered.
~Use home grown herbs, grown without chemicals.

Simply re-heat any leftovers for delicious flavor.  My husband told me I should not change a thing on this recipe, but if I do, I'll be sure to post the changes.

No comments: