Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, July 30, 2010

Turnip Turkey Burgers ~ Another Way to Cook with Turnips

I experimented with turnips again.  The kids loved what I did and they could not taste a strong turnip taste.  I didn't have a recipe.  I took 3 lbs of quick sale ground turkey, lean, and mixed it with:
1/2-3/4 cup italian bread crumbs (I just had some that needed used up)  You could make your own.
1 egg, farm fresh
2 turnips, garden fresh, grated finely (peeled first of course)
1 med. or 2 small garden onions, chopped
1 garden fresh green pepper, chopped
1 tsp. or more of dried thyme and oregano from the herb garden
Salt and Pepper to taste

I cooked these in a cast iron skillet with olive oil for about 5 minutes on each side (made our burgers pretty good sized).  The kids topped them with garden fresh lettuce and homemade pickles.  I may try these again with a different version, maybe with garlic or a small handful of cheese.  Either way, we discovered a delicious way to use turnips in our meal. 
I'll never forget reading Little House books with my daughter.  It was those books that influenced us to eat turnips and keep them in our diet.  Now we grow them every year in the summer garden.  I will also be trying a pickled turnip/beet recipe. 

No comments: