Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, July 12, 2010

Monday ~ Fun day


The butterflies love our flowers.  And so do the bees.  I was able to get a photo of one of them.  Yesterday I saw one with blue and black on the backside of the wings, and when they were closed up, they outside (underside) of the wings were orange and black. 

I've already weeded the flower beds and have picked more cucumbers.  I read that if you pick them in the early morning hours, they have a better flavor.  After weeding, and while laundry is washing, I came inside and scrambled some farm fresh eggs with snipped chives.

Speaking of food, I made the most delicious yellow squash recipe I found on the Internet - Yellow Squash Patties.  The only thing I would change, is maybe use sharp cheddar cheese for more flavor, and maybe Parmesan cheese.  The kids loved them and hubby stole the leftovers and took them to work for his lunch.  I am sure I'll have more squash today.

We did top our patties with a thin layer of sour cream.  I used olive oil and I used cornmeal that we bought at a working flour mill (no preservatives).  I also have whole wheat flour from the mill too.  Very delicious. If you are looking for new recipes, and recipes that use a lot of yellow squash, this one is one to try.

No comments: