Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Pushing Positivity Despite a Frustrating Garden Year

 

The weather is much to be desired this garden year.  We should have been picking weeks ago, canning and enjoying by now.  We literally just picked (yesterday) our first heirloom Shintokiwa cucumber (English variety).  One plant already died, the other two types of cucumbers are are not looking good.

I picked two pickling cucumbers, and have put them in my vegetable storage containers, that keep them fresh longer.  In hopes to get more, and possible just get some relish canned this year.

The humidity has been at it's worst, and with the lack of rain, the garden suffers.  The weather these next two days will be in the upper 90's, and the humidity at it's worst yet.  This morning the humidity is 92% already.  

We have only gotten green beans from two plants so far, as we had to replant twice (after we finally fenced them).

The tomatoes are at their worst ever.  They are very small, lack any production good enough to do any canning, and the beef style has yet to even ripen (due to the ground hogs and rabbits prior to fencing).  The plants are not as tall as they should be by now, and lack anything to harvest.

The hot peppers are so-so.  The cayenne plants never grew tall, and have zero peppers on them.  I am starting to get other ones of other varieties, but not sure I'll be canning anything just yet.

It's yet to be determined on the winter squash plants, and pototoes.  The acorn squash is just now starting to produce, but the plant itself looks iffy.  Again, the humidity, and the battle with squash bugs are a problem this year.  I don't see any of the delicata squash producing at all yet.

The radishes were a wash this year as well.  I planted too late.

The collards and kale never recovered from what ever was eating them, but the swiss chard is trying to hold on.

On the left zucchini and squash with onions and homemade cowboy butter, on the right camper potatoes.  We are getting a few zucchini and yellow squash, but not nearly as many as we did last year.



We are not getting many of the blackberries either.  I have to build a new bird cover, and keep an eye on them.  I have a feeling I have another ground hog or rabbit eating the low ones.  Again.

Our new blueberry bushes, planted in pots are doing well, but it will be a few years before we get many, so I purchased 10# and put them in the freezer.



We also froze 5 1/2 dozen ears of local sweet corn.  I may plant some in a few years, but this year we had raccoons.  It seems to be a rodent problem year here.  By the wayt, the tool on the left is specifically for corn hair removal, and the inexpensive bottle brush on the right works just as well.  The hack using the jar lifter to fill the freezer bags worked well for me too.

Well, it's the last day of July.  Hard to believe the entire month went by so fast.

We have however, made progress in the master bathroom.  The ceilings, all of the trim and walls are now painted.

I may be back with a garden update down the road.  Just when I tell my husband I am not growing a garden next year, I make us a salad with one stinkin' cucumber, do the happy dance after the first bite, and sigh.  Trust me however, when I say it's been the most frustrating garden year, I really do mean it.

Here's praying that August starts out with good vibes, a better garden harvest, more home progress, and fun filled adventures.

P.S. I have noticed that spam is trying to post on my blog since I have been here last.  


Pushing Positivity Despite Frustrating Garden Year © July 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

14 comments:

Cheryl said...

We bel to a few here in Pennsylvania and they said the lack of rain is not helping at all. Hopefully your garden will get better.

Katie C. said...

Nice to hear from you. My garden is struggling too. Super high heat and very little rain this year. The heat came early this year and the blueberries, which started out well, withered. Now just the birds are enjoying what must seem like blueberry raisins! I have no jalapeños yet but finally some flowers. No other peppers either. I do have tomatoes but they are all still green except one that I picked a little early to keep it away from the squirrels and raccoons. It’s finishing ripening on the counter so I can have a BLT. The cherry tomatoes are flourishing and the tomatillos have finally started to fill in. All my squash plants have died. I guess growing them in pots doesn’t work.

My herbs are producing. Harvested oregano and it’s drying in the guest bathroom away from interested kitties. Last week I made my first batch of pesto and froze it in cubes. I did it differently this year based on comments from Jacques Pepin and Maryanne Esposito. I blanched the basil leaves for about 45 seconds and put them in an ice bath. After I drained the leaves, and plucked them from the stems, I pressed them in my hands to remove excess water. Maryanne said to make the pesto with just basil, garlic, salt and olive oil so that’s what I did. Supposedly, you add the cheese and/or nuts when you use the cubes. We shall see.

Happy gardening 🙄 Katie C.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Cheryl, there is only a very slight chance of rain in the next few days here. Frustrating for sure.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Katie, thanks for the info on the pesto tips. I have frozen it before, but never blanched the basil. I will consider that soon. My basil is doing well, but my cilantro went to seed early, so very little of it. I do have a ton of parsley, but we found the taste very strong this year. Like way too strong.

I have zero cherry tomatoes this year sadly. I have some beef type on the vines, but they are green, and it is way past when we should have had red ones. Crazy.

Anne in the kitchen said...

Im sorry to hear of your gardening woes this year.
After feeding groundhogs and chipmunks, we gave up on gardening for now. Maybe next year will be different for us.

Jackie said...

Things are not growing well either here on the Canadian prairies, or at least in my garden. We so need some rain as it has been so hot and dry for the last month.

God bless.

Debby said...

This is the first year we didn’t plant a garden! Last year we had so many problems. Hopefully taking a growing season off will be a good thing. It’s a good thing we didn’t plant this year. I hear others are having major issues as well.!
We are harvesting our almonds which are tasty.

Betsy said...

I think a LOT of gardens are struggling this year. Here's it's lack of rain for the past month and just before that a flood that put tons of crops under water, literally. I feel so bad for people who have put so much work in, just to be disappointed. I hope August is better for you.
Blessings,
Betsy

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Anne in the Kitchen, we had one chipmunk, but I have not seen it since the raccoons arrived. I hope you have a better year next year.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie, we have really lacked rain. Every time there is a chance, it never arrives.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, I seriously considered not growing one this year. It very well may be next year to get a fence up proper. And to get rid of the squash bugs for a year.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Betsy, thank you. We should be yanking our cucumber plants by now, and we are literally getting one, and just another yesterday. A lot of work for so little, but I should know that it can happen.

Leigh said...

Oh gosh, you have had an exceptionally tough garden year! Here too, because we seem to have a duplicate of your weather. Not a good year for fruit at all. Finally got our first cuke, and I know what you mean about what a joy even the few homegrown veggies are. Some years I figure if all I get is a seed crop, I have something to be thankful for.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, we finally got a good rain, but when I checked the garden, the cucumber plants and now one of the canteloupe plants look worse than before the rain. We had to spray for squash bugs too. They are infested in our pumpkins this year. I'm using neem, but we'll see if it works. It can burn the leaves in very hot sunny weather.