Skip to main content

Protecting the Harvest ~ Raised Beds Project

 The tree baffles are up, but the second one will need some work.  The bottom branches are lower on the other tree.  Anyway, we'll see if we can save our apple tree harvest this year.

If you are interested in how we built our tree baffles (a device to keep raccoons/squirrels from climbing up the tree to eat the fruit), here is the source with the "how to" on how to build one with a 5 gallon bucket.

Source: Welcome Wildlife, Tree Baffles...


Update:   The tree baffles work!  I happen to look outside at just the right time and a raccoon was at one tree, looking up confused.  It ran off.  Our $4.00 buckets paid off.  You could possibly get them free if a restaurant could save buckets too.





(Source:  Menards)

Temporary fencing has been installed around the green/wax beans now.  We simply used inexpensive plastic fencing on a roll, zip ties and wooden tomato stakes.  It's high enough to keep the rabbits out, but low enough we can step over it.  Time will tell, if we'll get a harvest this year or not. 

We can take the fencing down at the end of the garden season, roll it back up and reuse it if needed.  For now, anyway.


I had saved some tin pie pans a year ago, and have put those on strings and on each side of the tomato garden.  The wind bangs them onto the fence, and the noise keeps the birds out, as well as the sun shining on the pan.


I have also ordered two solar devices to keep the rodents out of my herb garden.  They send off a sound, in which the rodents do not like, and is said to keep them away.  If this does not work, I'll be fencing my herb garden too.

(2019 photo)

Now I understand why I would always see our barn cats sitting in the herb garden.  They were after the rabbits.



Our greens are in a waist high raised bed this year, and they are much smaller due to the soil content.  I'll be putting them back in the fenced garden ground next year.  Something is eating them, and I'm guess it's grasshoppers.  Ants are also in the raised bed.

The radishes have been thinned out, but they are not doing that great this year.  It could be the lack of rain, and having to hand water this year.


Tree digging was finally done.  There was a black walnut and an ornamental apple tree growing in two flower beds, a mulberry tree (above) growing in my asparagus patch, and one large invasive honeysuckle growing in a very small flower bed that completely took out, and removed rocks etc.

My compost bin was being buried in wild grape vines, so we unburied it, but there is much more work to do around the barns and house yet.  It's crazy how the birds can plant so many obstacles for us.  Not to mention the squirrels.

Raised Beds Project

I am digging up my rhubarb to put in a temporary location, so we can dig up all of our 16 year old raised beds completely. We will need assistance with it all, so it may be an all summer project, with finishing up next year.

We want to lay something down in a large area in it's place, topped with taller raised beds, but something that will last a long time and deter grass/weeds etc. so we do not need to mow between the new beds.  I've seen thick black fabric on a roll, but we want to deter grass etc.  Any suggestions?  So many of my fellow, experienced homesteaders/bloggers, no longer blog, so we may be on our own with finding this information.

Part of the reason I blog, is learning from others gardening experiences (or homesteading overall).

When we were on the island one year, we saw that a restaurant has large sheets of something rubber or similar, with grow bags on top, to grow their own veggies/herbs.  I never asked what it was or where to buy it, but now I wish I had.  

If you have suggestions, please comment and where to buy it.  I'm thinking it'll be 4 to 6 beds or more depending on our space/area.  I'm thinking beds will be 8 x 4 x two feet feet tall.

Also, suggestions on what to put in the bottom to eliminate filling the entire bed(s) with soil.  Logs of wood and twigs?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart