Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, September 25, 2017

Holiday Menu "try-its" ~ Winter Prep ~ Motorcycle Rides and More Garlic

It's been one year since Hubby's mild heart attack.  We are so thankful he is doing well health-wise, and doesn't get sick as often either.

We took the Harley out on Saturday, and visited the flea market festival we visited the very day he had the heart attack.  It was fun to get out to ride.  We ditched it early due to the 90 degree sweltering heat and us in long pants and leather boots. We took a long ride to get lunch.  We rode all day, visited a family birthday party and ended it at home to fry up some bacon.

I tried a new recipe for an overnight breakfast casserole.  It used "croutons" vs. cubed bread.  I had some (homemade) in the freezer that needed rotated out for new, so I tried it.

I used homemade sausage and organic bacon both.  We typically make a sausage/egg souffle (also overnight) dish, but I wanted to try a new one with greens in it.

The results?  


I'll have to come back and share, not only the sweet potato pie recipe, but the breakfast casserole too. It's a bit complicated with my homemade ingredients, but you can use store bought too.  Mom emailed me the recipe 11 years ago, and I just now tried it.  I had it in my hoarded stack (much, much smaller) of recipes.  It doesn't give us the "wow" effect of comfort food like our traditional sausage/egg souffle, but it has less bread, less cheese, and has greens.  I all for the greens.

Hubby asked, "can't you just put greens in the other recipe?" Ha ha!



I also made a new cookie recipe, trying it out before the holidays arrived.  It has been in the recipe pile for two years now (or longer) - Snow Drops.  From a magazine page from 2003.  The inside of the cookie is a very, very delicate short bread type cookie, and the outside is melted white chocolate.  Good?  Yes, but difficult to keep cookie crumbs out of the coating when dipping the cookies.  Hubby raves about them, the girls are so-so about them.  I'm on the fence too.  Not sure it's a keeper just yet.  You definitely don't eat more than one - super sweet with all that chocolate.


~Winter Prep ~

I did a wee bit of winter prep.  I bought two new heat lamp bulbs for the hennies.  I reduced my winter heat from two lamps to one last year, and it really wasn't needed that often (thankfully).  However, if we have a bland winter, we are over due for a cold one, so I'm at least getting prepared.  If needed.


I also restocked the matches.

Sunday, Hubby planted 80 more garlic.  He had pity on me and my healing leg, and felt like he needed to work before he "played."  

Hubby and I then took off with a few friends.  We took a ride to a new town, 1 1/2 hours away, long the lake.  It was hot, but with the breeze in our knees we were enjoying our day off before we hit the work hard this week. 

....and I woke up late.  Again.

Monday today will be a long day.  I may join the "Happy Homemaker" post just to stay on task.  We have dew this morning, so I'm not slacking on the garden work just yet.  I will tackle a bathroom before heading out when it dries up. 

I'm gonna need more coffee.

2 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

I haven't thought about cookies yet I am just working down the list for preserves. You are way ahead of me.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I had a stressful day that day, and baking up a storm is what I do under stress (when I can't work outside).