Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, September 30, 2017

...from the handiwork journal ~ A Few Finished!

I dug out a cone of discontinued yarn, and felt the colors were absolutely best for baby washcloths.

I couldn't decide whether to simple single crochet, or make granny cloths, so I made these....

I sort of like the look, and the colors scream "baby."  I think they turned out nicely.

. . . finished two baby washcloths (would also work for adult washcloths, and look pretty in a cottage or lakeside home.



...finished this slouchy hat. One more for the sale. Photo makes it look blue, but it's black.



...finished this dishcloth.  Thanks to the visit to the dentist.  Her wisdom teeth removal visit took 1 1/2 hours of wait time.  I sat next to an older lady who pulled out crochet work and we had the best conversation - she had done everything I wanted to do, and she had never rendered lard in a crock pot (both on our try-it lists).  Neatest lady to chat with who has in the past crocheted 100 pairs of socks to sell at a museum (she leaves the heel out so socks fit anyone).  She raised every animal, lived a very good life, and was crocheting doll clothes with her own pattern. Just sharing a little story with that "finish."






10 comments:

Vicki said...

I have way too many irons in the fire now, but I hope to try my hand at washcloths and dishcloths over the winter. I really like the looks of them. And isn't it fun to run across someone who can carry on a conversation - especially when you have similar interests!!

Rain said...

One and a half hours...eek. I was knocked out with tranquilizers when I had my wisdom teeth removed, and they did one side at at time too. I hate dental visits, but you definitely made the best of it! How neat to meet someone with common interests so haphazardly! I really like the washcloths!

Sam I Am...... said...

You are so right about the baby cloths...cute colors for baby or that lakeside cottage. The hat does look blue! You got a lot done and what a great conversation you had with that woman! I had a similar experience yesterday. Is the last one a hand towel or a washrag? It's very nice I just can't tell the size of it from here. Have a nice weekend!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Vicki, I know what you mean about irons in the fire. It was so nice to have just a pleasant lady to talk to.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, to get knocked out is very expensive and not covered on insurance. Our family tends to "tough" things out and go the easier financial route. She is paying for her own dental care, and we are proud of her for that. Thanks for the compliment on the washcloths.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, the last one is a light weight dishcloth, using #10 cotton crochet thread. They are great for campers (dry out quickly and save space) and for those who don't like the thickness of a cotton crocheted one or a knitted one. Just something different.

mamasmercantile said...

How lovely to meet someone at the dentist with the same interests and have a chat. That certainly seemed like a long wait time. Love the washcloths, I am great fan.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, it was sort of funny to look around the waiting room, and everyone was watching and listening to us (crochet and chat and share stories).

RB said...

When I was in high school, I had a black slouch hat like that. It was very warm. Our paternal Grandmother was invited to some kind of lady party, maybe Watkins or Fuller Brush, I can't remember which one, but there was going to be a prize for the funniest hat. She asked to borrow mine, which I lent her. She pinned a safety pin to each of the yarn ends, put it on and went, and won first prize. I do wonder, though, how long it took her to put all those safety pins on that hat. LOL
Everyone have a great week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, that had to be a lot of safety pins. Oh my!