Skip to main content

Flower Bed Resident (s)

In between all my other work, I am reclaiming the flower beds, and each time I make my weed piles a bit higher (or more of them).

One day I decided to go rake them into one large pile and guess who greeted me under one of them?
Made you look, didn't I? Ha ha!

 Meet Mom snake and one of her 4 babies.  Yes, I said 4.  They are non-venoumous, and very useful for pest control, but oh my gosh, they can scare the livin' pants off me.

 This is their home.  Smack dab next to the rock border around my very front flower bed, and where I typical get down on my knees to weed.  Sigh...I digress.  

I have put the weed pile back to draw them all out again, and safely and kindly, re-home them.  However, they are still there.   I just haven't had a moment where Hubby, aka "snake catcher" can move them for me.

Yes, I know they eat grasshoppers, moths and crickets, but not so often will they eat a field mouse.  Mostly insects. 

They'll just have to dine elsewhere now.  They did their job all summer, but now they must take a hike.

Comments

Henny Penny said…
Oh, nothing scares me like uncovering, or walking up on a snake. We let them go unless it is a big rat snake in the chicken house...eating the eggs. I walked in the chicken house one day to gather the eggs, and there were two of them. Gives me goosebumps!
Vicki said…
You are much more brave than me. I am afraid that the sight of a snake, poisonous or not, sends me running in the other direction, screaming like a little girl. My mind tells me they do good, eating bugs and small pests, but I still don't want to be anywhere near them.
Henny Penny, I just let them go too, but this one is right where I weed my flower bed. It gives me the creeps knowing there is an entire family there where I work, ha ha! I would hate to go in the coop and find a snake like you do you in your area.
Vicki, I was screaming one day too, and my 18 year-old came running out the door and Hubby came running from the driveway. He chased it off that day, but it was the Mom and she came back. Urgh.
Mama Pea said…
Not nice to slip that picture of those slithery creatures in before I had any warning! The discovery of the snakes would have put a quick end to my work on the flower beds. (((Shudder)))
Mama Pea, ha ha! They are all still there, and Mom snake has shed her skin too. I am waiting for my snake catching husband to kindly move them. So for now, I have abandoned the flower bed clean up, ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart