Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Habanero-Apricot Jelly

Preserving continues....
 

I started the early morning (yesterday) by canning one batch of habanero-apricot jelly with some of the habanero peppers.  


We enjoy this jam on biscuits, rolls, crackers with cream cheese, on meats etc. It comes in handy for family/friend gatherings for appetizers and snacks.


 (3 half-pints, 6 - 4 oz. jars)

 It has good flavor, but it's not spicy hot like you'd think.  The sugar cuts the heat in this recipe, and I'm too chicken to cut the sugar and end up with runny jelly.  It's good on chicken, wings, etc. as well.


The rest of the habaneros were frozen, along with the majority of jalapenos.  I kept a few out for meals/pizza etc.



7 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

I do like the sound of that, you are certainly very industrious with all your canning.

Susan said...

Oh, that looks good!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, my family gets spoiled, that's for sure.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I want to can it again if this week's heat gives me more habaneros. Only the next batch, I want to leave seeds in and see if it gets more heat (Hubby likes a "hot" pepper jelly).

Mama Pea said...

I'm trying to be braver in cooking with "hot" peppers. I think it's capsaicin in them that's supposed to be so good for us. Sounds as though your jelly would be good!

R's Rue said...

Yum.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I freeze a lot of our jalapeno peppers, most of the hot banana too. I like to grind a combination of hot peppers for my "fire powder" too. Hubby likes to put the cowboy candy on anything almost.