Skip to main content

Staycation Day

Hubby, Youngest, and myself, visited a "Vintage Market" event for the first time.  It was ex-spen-sive!



 It was fun to walk around and see what they had.  Some "tents" were old time campers you walked into.  Sort of a fun time, lots of "gypsy" style clothing, jewelry (some handmade), homemade sauces, jellies, antiques, food and music.  In the second photo up, the first camper sold coffee, the yellow and white sold lemonade.  Just lots of cute camper "stores" and lots of stuff to look at.  Just out of my price range.  I wasn't really looking for anything, we just wanted to come check it out.  There were lots of customers dressed in "hippie" and "gypsy" outfits for this event.
  

 I felt right at home honestly.  I am part "hippie" some days.

 Youngest wasn't feeling good, so we left the event and got her back home to her bed.  While she slept, I whipped up two dozen pumpkin-corn muffins.  Hubby and I took off on the Harley and went to the campgrounds to enjoy a big pot of campfire chili with family and friends.  We didn't camp, but we stayed for dinner.  This was a new recipe I found while deep cleaning the kitchen.  It won 3rd place in a "heart healthy" contest, so I wanted to try it.  It's okay.  It's a not real flavorful, but it suited the purpose of being an easy side for chili.  I still think my buttermilk corn bread is much better (moist and better flavor), but it was easier to transport on a motorcycle.  

You heard me right too.  The "deep clean" has started in small amounts.  We didn't play all day yesterday either.  We started the planting of the garlic too - got 71 cloves of Moroccan Creole planted.   I'll be planting all week to get it in a bit earlier than last year.  I got it all in by October 11th last year, but there is a chance for a frost early October, so I'm working like a mad woman (again).

Comments

Vicki said…
What a fun event to attend. Never bothered me much if goods for sale were out of my price range. Still fun to go look. And the people watching is usually excellent. :)
Mama Pea said…
My garlic crop was a bit of a failure this year (although I did get 50 bulbs) so I don't have enough to plant from this for next year. Ordered some (a lot) strictly for planting and hope to increase the crop next year to a big enough amount I won't have to buy it again. (Ever? That's the aim!)
Rain said…
Vintage, aka USED, has become so trendy that the prices people ask for their stuff is shocking. I visited a flea market last summer that I'd gone to for years and years and it's unbelievable what people are asking. I stick to thrift stores now.
Vicki, you are right about people watching. Lots of fun.
Mama Pea, I bought two new types last year. It helped out a lot.
Rain, some vendors had reasonable prices, but it was nothing I needed.
Lady Jane said…
Ha, I remember what most of that stuff cost when it was new, and still have some of it and used a lot of it in my time. Some of it is truly junk under the guise of vintage. I like to go because it brings back memories to me. It would be fun to watch the people dressed in gypsy and hippie clothes. Love the old hump back campers!!! Hugs, LJ
Lady Jane, it was a fun event for sure. Fun people, music and food. My cousin used to drive a "bug" and so did my oldest daughter. I too, love the old campers.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart