Skip to main content

Grilling ~ More Tomatoes ~ Dinky Bell Peppers/Carrots ~ Chilly Temps

We recently grilled burgers and we took advantage of that open jar of canned caramelized onions.

 Mmm.  Goodness.  Grilled organic / non-gmo beef burgers, topped with swiss cheese, canned onions, and home canned ketchup.  I should have mixed some hot peppers and greens into the beef, but I was just so hungry, ha ha ha!

(15 lbs.)


Made a trip to the jungle with a complaining daughter (rolling my eyes).  We brought in 46.2 more lbs. of delicious tomatoes.   They are very small compared to last year, but I'm thankful for what we are getting. "Grad" Daughter brought in 9.7 lbs of the bounty (with much bickering and whining), and acting as if she had picked 100 lbs. 

The tomatoes will have to wait a few days until I make a plan on what needs made.  Possibilities are taco sauce, more tomato sauce, freezing more, tomato-basil soup, more ketchup, etc.



Bell peppers are dinky.  I can fit two in my hand, they are that dinky.  I won't be able to stuff and freeze these, so I hope the produce stand down the road has some larger ones.



I picked a few carrots for chowder, and they too are dinky compared to past years.  I'll take what I get, but it's been a so-so garden year.


No need to send the "recovery police" out on me, ha ha!  I have been taking to the porch, with my leg up, and an ice pack every day.  I

 Photos are from yesterday.  I took a hot cup of ginger (freshly grated) tea and new crochet work to the porch to work on while my leg rested.  I have a writing project that I can work on this next week too, so I have back-up porch fun, if I don't feel like doing handiwork.

I had my foot up for about 30 minutes, before Hubby rolled in the drive.  I was confused.  He was 1/2 hour earlier than usual, and he went straight to the bedroom to put on biker boots an said, "I need to twist the throttle."  He had ants in his pants for sure, so I got my boots on too, and away we went.  Don't worry.  It was a local ride, and we were home before dark.  The chowder however, was still in the crock pot, so we enjoyed some of that late in the evening.

We are so not ready for winter - wood needs split pronto, lick-ity split pronto.   

I finally have my husband's time today, and what do you know?

The sky is dark and rain looms over us.  It is not in the forecast, but we've had rain recently, on days where it was not predicted.  It's been a nice cool temperature, but the heat will slowly rise today and tomorrow - rising to the mid 80's again. 

Summer is not over yet. 

Comments

Rain said…
Hi Kristina :) I'm really jealous of your tomato haul. Mine are still green, but it's so darn cold here, 14C is the high today. Sad summer. And the price of tomatoes at the market doesn't make it worth canning any for the winter. We'll have to do with what we have or do without I guess! Your burger...omg...drool... :)
Rain, like most gardener's I may have a somewhat good haul of tomatoes (a 5th of what we grew last year), but have no onions, no broccoli, no cauliflower, no kohlrabi, and no turnips. I have to buy those. I'm thankful for what I do get though.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart