Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Tidbits ~ Egg Dip

I spent part of my day cleaning out the refrigerator.   It was hot and humid, and a good day for laundry too.   I had to do some sewing, so I got that done as well.  

Although I felt better, I woke up at 3am with a killer sort throat.  I guess I'll be drinking hot ginger tea today.  I ran out of chamomile, but have fresh organic ginger on hand. 

The rain fell yesterday, so I may run out and start gutting the garden.  I got a text from Hubby to "stay out of the garden" but it needs started.  The girls can help this weekend, and get it done faster.


The girls and I have an agreement, that if any job is left undone or half way done, or not done right, they have to do a job on my list.  One left the dishes sitting and did not dry and put them away.  She'll be getting a job, even if it's on the weekend.  I'm thinking the window blinds or cleaning the chicken coop.

Now for the newest recipe...


Egg Dip - a from "pile to file" recipe. I had cut it out of a local newspaper several years ago.


I'll be honest, I was not sure I was making this recipe right at first.  Once you heat the eggs with the butter, sugar and vinegar, it cooks the eggs and thickens the mixture.  It was wonderful!  I will definitely make this dip again, and it would be great for a "crowd pleaser."  Now that we are down to four people, I put the dip into two dishes, one for Hubby and I and one for the two girls.  Hubby was trying to bribe the girls for their bowl of dip too, ha ha!  That is how delicious this dip is.  It will replace any french onion dip recipe that I kept too.  I love the fact it has fresh onion and green pepper in it.

I wonder how my dandelion vinegar would taste in this.  I may even try it again, when I am up to taking a trip to the store.  I have to buy the organic green peppers, and cream cheese now.  I do miss my homemade goat's milk cream cheese.  



Egg Dip

2 farm fresh eggs
2 Tbsp. organic butter
2 Tbsp.  organic sugar
2 Tbsp. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
1 pkg.  organic cream cheese (8 oz)
1 organic onion, med, chopped
½ organic green pepper, chopped

Combine eggs, butter, sugar and vinegar in a saucepan, and heat until mixture thickens.  Set aside.  While mixture is still warm, beat in cream cheese and onion and pepper.  Chill until ready to serve.   

Now go whip up some homemade crackers or chips and make a bowl of this!  I know I'll be making it again, and again this winter for fall and winter holiday parties.

4 comments:

Susan said...

That dip sounds wonderful! I need to make some cream cheese and try this out. I am hoping to clean out the garden this weekend, too. It is about 80% weeds but it's so dry, it's like yanking them out of cement.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, the dip is wonderful. I just weeded for two hours, and came in drenched with sweat. Since it rained a bit I could pull the grass, but not the big stuff. I hope it rains again. I have a lot to pull out.

Sam I Am...... said...

I am making that dip for this holiday weekend. It's just me, myself and I but we're celebrating! Thanks for the recipe! Don't work too hard.

RB said...

I sure hope that throat gets better. No fun having a sore throat, especially on a holiday weekend. That dip does sound good. Will have to try it. I bet it would be good on toasted French or Italian bread slices too.
Have a great weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><