Skip to main content

Tidbits ~ Egg Dip

I spent part of my day cleaning out the refrigerator.   It was hot and humid, and a good day for laundry too.   I had to do some sewing, so I got that done as well.  

Although I felt better, I woke up at 3am with a killer sort throat.  I guess I'll be drinking hot ginger tea today.  I ran out of chamomile, but have fresh organic ginger on hand. 

The rain fell yesterday, so I may run out and start gutting the garden.  I got a text from Hubby to "stay out of the garden" but it needs started.  The girls can help this weekend, and get it done faster.


The girls and I have an agreement, that if any job is left undone or half way done, or not done right, they have to do a job on my list.  One left the dishes sitting and did not dry and put them away.  She'll be getting a job, even if it's on the weekend.  I'm thinking the window blinds or cleaning the chicken coop.

Now for the newest recipe...


Egg Dip - a from "pile to file" recipe. I had cut it out of a local newspaper several years ago.


I'll be honest, I was not sure I was making this recipe right at first.  Once you heat the eggs with the butter, sugar and vinegar, it cooks the eggs and thickens the mixture.  It was wonderful!  I will definitely make this dip again, and it would be great for a "crowd pleaser."  Now that we are down to four people, I put the dip into two dishes, one for Hubby and I and one for the two girls.  Hubby was trying to bribe the girls for their bowl of dip too, ha ha!  That is how delicious this dip is.  It will replace any french onion dip recipe that I kept too.  I love the fact it has fresh onion and green pepper in it.

I wonder how my dandelion vinegar would taste in this.  I may even try it again, when I am up to taking a trip to the store.  I have to buy the organic green peppers, and cream cheese now.  I do miss my homemade goat's milk cream cheese.  



Egg Dip

2 farm fresh eggs
2 Tbsp. organic butter
2 Tbsp.  organic sugar
2 Tbsp. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
1 pkg.  organic cream cheese (8 oz)
1 organic onion, med, chopped
½ organic green pepper, chopped

Combine eggs, butter, sugar and vinegar in a saucepan, and heat until mixture thickens.  Set aside.  While mixture is still warm, beat in cream cheese and onion and pepper.  Chill until ready to serve.   

Now go whip up some homemade crackers or chips and make a bowl of this!  I know I'll be making it again, and again this winter for fall and winter holiday parties.

Comments

Susan said…
That dip sounds wonderful! I need to make some cream cheese and try this out. I am hoping to clean out the garden this weekend, too. It is about 80% weeds but it's so dry, it's like yanking them out of cement.
Susan, the dip is wonderful. I just weeded for two hours, and came in drenched with sweat. Since it rained a bit I could pull the grass, but not the big stuff. I hope it rains again. I have a lot to pull out.
Sam I Am...... said…
I am making that dip for this holiday weekend. It's just me, myself and I but we're celebrating! Thanks for the recipe! Don't work too hard.
RB said…
I sure hope that throat gets better. No fun having a sore throat, especially on a holiday weekend. That dip does sound good. Will have to try it. I bet it would be good on toasted French or Italian bread slices too.
Have a great weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart