Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

Well, well, well....car repairs loom over us once again.   Our college daughter who is 2 1/2 hours away, drove home with car problems.

I guess it's time to go car shopping, unless Hub-ster the mechanic can pull miracles today.


I'm not looking forward to buying another car right now as we are coming up on the first payment due to the school for the 8th grade trip to D.C. - third kiddo to go, and quit frankly I am glad  she is the last (expensive). 

Another casualty of the barn project - hay rash.  While knocking out boards below the loft, lots of junk falls out between everything.  Way back before we purchased the homestead, a person had horses in that barn (not us).  They evidently stored the hay in the loft. 

I'm going to need a bio-hazmat suit to continue helping Hubby tear the barn down.  I do have safety glasses, and we keep our heads covered (he has one hard hat too), but I did not have long sleeves, nor did I wrap a bandanna around my neck.  I'm using every medicinal tool I have, but the itch and burn is most unpleasant.  I've used my calendula salve (said to get rid of diaper rash, so I gave it a try, but the itch was still bad), apple cider vinegar, aloe from my aloe plant (which worked best for itch so far), and  tea tree oil/olive mixture.  If any of you have suggestions other than what I'm using, please share.  I am going to brew nettle tea today too.

Oh....and we will be using medical masks from now on.  As for Hubby, he got zero hay rash.   Allergies are never pleasant to have when you homestead.  I'll just have to remember to always have all of my skin covered and a mask every time.

My house is rocking at 8:56am here.  On a Sunday no less.  With our 18 year-old home for just two days, the girls have found entertainment with "Rock Band," which my younger brother donated to them.  For once, they are doing something that does not require the internet, so I'm not complaining. 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Have you tried Calamine Lotion? That's the ONLY thing that stops my insect bites from itching. You can get it over the counter and it's not expensive. No "bad" ingredients in it. Granted, you will look a little strange with the pinkish liquid dabbed on all over your body, but it's maybe worth a try.
Mama Pea, thanks. I have not tried that, and will get some today.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart