Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Homemade Flour Tortillas with Lard ~ From Pile to File ~ Fire Powder

I mentioned a while back that I would try another tortilla recipe, but this time I used lard.  I forgot I even had the recipe until I was looking for my whole wheat pancake recipe one day.  Tip:  Tortilla presses are more for corn tortillas (or masa), so you'll need a rolling pin for this recipe.

This recipe got all thumbs up from the family.  The tortillas are softer and we all like these better than the tortillas I have been making with organic canola oil.



These are baked on an ungreased griddle.  The last recipe I tried used organic canola oil, and they were fried in oil as well.  

I'll be honest, this dough was a bit more difficult to work with, but I like the fact you do not have to fry them.  There is less mess and you don't stink up the house.  I used a temperature of about 325°F on my griddle, but it all depends on your griddle too.




Also, I got about 11 - 7 inch tortillas with dough, but if you go larger you may get about 8 tortillas.  

Flour tortillas with lard

2 c. organic all-purpose flour (see note)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. lard 
1/2 cup warm water

Mix the flour and salt.  Cut in the lard, and slowly add the warm water.   You can use a fork to work in the water or use a mixer.

Once I had the lard cut in, I mixed it all in my mixer until a ball was formed.

Note:  I put it in the refrigerator for a few hours.  I brought the dough back to room temperature before I rolled and baked.  Cut dough into 11 pieces and roll into 7-8 inch rounds on floured surface, or less pieces for larger tortillas.

These are baked on an ungreased griddle for about 20 seconds or so, then flipped to bake the other side. 

Store in an airtight container and place in refrigerator,  or freeze.

Note:  Try substituting 1/2 cup of the flour for whole wheat or cornmeal. I have not tried using all whole wheat flour or cornmeal.  





I decided to dehydrate all of the hot peppers I found while gutting the garden the other day.


(Before)

(After)

I took a mess of hot banana, jalapeno, hungarian wax, and cayenne and sliced and dried them. I leave the seeds in.

  

I then grind them into a fine powder, using a coffee grinder.  I tap the lid and let it settle a bit before removing the lid.  Otherwise you'll most likely inhale some of it.


I call this "Fire Powder" and we add it to just about anything - nothing wasted.

6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I'll bet these would freeze well, too. I like that they use lard. I keep reading a lot of bad press on canola oil so I've made the decision to stop using it. I do miss it :o(, but feel it's a good choice to do without for health's sake.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, these are excellent. They cook up faster than the other recipe I was using too. Less mess, no burning oil smell either. I am in the process of trying to find a farmer here or local meat market who will give me some pig fat. The only canola oil I buy is from the organic section at our store. It's organic and labeled non-gmo as well. I see now, they carry a non-gmo/organic labeled olive oil too. Lard from the grocer is bad stuff too, so I hope to find some fat to render. Either that or Hubby will have to let me raise a hog next year.

Debby Flowers said...

Those tortillas look great! Our piggies will not be ready to butcher until late November or December, but when that happens I will certainly be rendering the lard and trying these out. Edible (in my opinion) are hard to find, so I am looking forward to making my own. Will definitely be trying your recipe. I imagine the rolling out process will be like most anything... better with practice. Thanks for the interesting posts Kristina!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, these were the best tortillas. Of course my vegetarian daughter said I better label them (made with lard) when I freeze them. She a stickler on that, but for the rest of us, it will be nice to have them. I am checking with a few butchers and farmers for pig fat, but so far none.

RB said...

We made pepper powder one year with cayenne peppers. Bro Tom called it "Devil Dust." LOL
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, that's a good name!