Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

......things that make me smile.


Homemade granola smells so good when it's baking.




Inspired by life, created by hand - handmade thank you card.
The granola and a camper reusable shopping bag, recently went in the mail for a very over due thank you.







What I've been up to - freezing greens, drying herbs, dead-heading, gutting the garden, weeding, the usual chores and such.

We can't seem to get a break from car/truck repairs.  Hubby has more work to do on the truck yet, our 18 year-old informed us her car is leaking oil, and last Friday our oldest daughter called - her muffler.  Son even called.  Some things on his new car, that were said to have been fixed, were not.  I'm about to invest in horse and buggy and fence in the back and the let horse eat down the pasture. 

Well, he fixed Oldest Daughter's car, but his truck now needs one more repair - brake calipers.


....what makes my skin crawl.  

Orb weavers are everywhere this year.  They are building webs where I walk every day.  One even had a web hanging from a power line, stretched over my herb garden, and all the way down to my rose bushes.  We had a giant, mammoth wolf spider in the bathroom sink the other day too.  The one in the sink went to spider heaven.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
I'm not sure if there is any meaning to all the spiders but it does seem like there are more than the normal amount building webs. Rough winter? I can only hope...sorry...I love Fall and Winter.
Your crochet looks pretty and I need to make some granola. thanks for reminding me. And dry some herbs too. So much to do in the Fall before "settling in"....I just want to do the "settling in" part! LOL!
Sam I am, there are a lot more spiders and bugs this fall. Strange.
RB said…
I wonder if you know how much your newsletters make us smile too. Every time I see one of your beautiful sewing projects, I smile.
Orb spiders don't bother me, although I have been known to move one when its baby's nest was getting ready to get rained on.
Wolf spiders though, they're another thing entirely, though I probably would have tried to catch the darn thing in a jar and usher it quickly outside to the weedy area if I could.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, when Son was home, he'd rescue all the spiders for me. Hubby has become the spider catcher now.
RB said…
You should see me with a mouse, a jar and a pair of salad tongs. Then I take them on a little drive to a farm down the road.
And keep in mind, we have 10 cats - 3 inside and 7 outside, so that's a brave (or stupid) mouse that I think deserves another chance to live, somewhere else.
LOL
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, ha ha ha! I did that once, but just took it outside (with tongs)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart