Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Homemade Peppermint Extract

I decided to make peppermint extract.   We loved the lemon in the homemade frosting last week, so I wanted to make peppermint.  



I picked enough fresh peppermint to fill about a 1/2 cup.



It went into a pint jar with about 1 1/2 cups vodka. I found several variations, but typically it's 1:2 ratio (one part fresh herbs, 2 parts vodka) with fresh herbs.  Correct me if I am wrong on that.

It will sit for about a month, with me shaking the jar often.  This will be used mainly for baking, but can be used as a tincture for colds, nausea, stomach and digestive issues, diarrhea and other ailments. 

  

6 comments:

Kim said...

I have also heard that spiders do not like the smell of peppermint and when I walked out the back door this morning @ 5am into a web I was thinking about do this same thing!

Sandra said...

I have never made any extracts. Interesting!

Sam I Am...... said...

Thank you! I have my herbs in and I have spearmint and chocolate mint this year and I would like to make something I can preserve for extracts or for flavoring my coffee and tea.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, I may put some peppermint out in the barn. It's time to brush down cobwebs again. I walked into one putting the chickens out. Urgh.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra, I first made vanilla extract, and gifted it at Christmas. Everyone loved it. Then I made lemon (too expensive to gift if you buy organic lemons), and now peppermint.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, it is pretty easy to make. Enjoy!