Skip to main content

Homemade Peppermint Extract

I decided to make peppermint extract.   We loved the lemon in the homemade frosting last week, so I wanted to make peppermint.  



I picked enough fresh peppermint to fill about a 1/2 cup.



It went into a pint jar with about 1 1/2 cups vodka. I found several variations, but typically it's 1:2 ratio (one part fresh herbs, 2 parts vodka) with fresh herbs.  Correct me if I am wrong on that.

It will sit for about a month, with me shaking the jar often.  This will be used mainly for baking, but can be used as a tincture for colds, nausea, stomach and digestive issues, diarrhea and other ailments. 

  

Comments

Kim said…
I have also heard that spiders do not like the smell of peppermint and when I walked out the back door this morning @ 5am into a web I was thinking about do this same thing!
Sandra said…
I have never made any extracts. Interesting!
Sam I Am...... said…
Thank you! I have my herbs in and I have spearmint and chocolate mint this year and I would like to make something I can preserve for extracts or for flavoring my coffee and tea.
Kim, I may put some peppermint out in the barn. It's time to brush down cobwebs again. I walked into one putting the chickens out. Urgh.
Sandra, I first made vanilla extract, and gifted it at Christmas. Everyone loved it. Then I made lemon (too expensive to gift if you buy organic lemons), and now peppermint.
Sam I Am, it is pretty easy to make. Enjoy!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart