One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Homemade Peppermint Extract

I decided to make peppermint extract.   We loved the lemon in the homemade frosting last week, so I wanted to make peppermint.  



I picked enough fresh peppermint to fill about a 1/2 cup.



It went into a pint jar with about 1 1/2 cups vodka. I found several variations, but typically it's 1:2 ratio (one part fresh herbs, 2 parts vodka) with fresh herbs.  Correct me if I am wrong on that.

It will sit for about a month, with me shaking the jar often.  This will be used mainly for baking, but can be used as a tincture for colds, nausea, stomach and digestive issues, diarrhea and other ailments. 

  

6 comments:

Kim said...

I have also heard that spiders do not like the smell of peppermint and when I walked out the back door this morning @ 5am into a web I was thinking about do this same thing!

Sandra Morris said...

I have never made any extracts. Interesting!

Sam I Am...... said...

Thank you! I have my herbs in and I have spearmint and chocolate mint this year and I would like to make something I can preserve for extracts or for flavoring my coffee and tea.

Kristina said...

Kim, I may put some peppermint out in the barn. It's time to brush down cobwebs again. I walked into one putting the chickens out. Urgh.

Kristina said...

Sandra, I first made vanilla extract, and gifted it at Christmas. Everyone loved it. Then I made lemon (too expensive to gift if you buy organic lemons), and now peppermint.

Kristina said...

Sam I Am, it is pretty easy to make. Enjoy!