Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Random Tidbits ~ Lavender Antiseptic and Calming Spritzer

 Like many of you, I am like a mad woman in the garden this week.  Rain was of little chance, so I worked my bum off to get seeds in.  We have a slight chance of rain on Sunday, so I am pacing it all out, not to wear myself out (which I already did and had to take a breather).  

Thank goodness I made a recent double batch of homemade ginger-ale. It came in handy for some much needed recuperation.  Plus, more kiddos (and myself) caught the bug Hubby had.

I've also delegated some garden planting to a few girls of ours.  I haven't been happy with the results of their housekeeping help, so outside they go (unless one is still stick).  We'll get daily planting done before it gets sweltering hot around 10:30am-11am.


The goal is to get everything in the ground by Saturday, and there is a (slight) promise of hauling the camper out to a campground sometime soon for their help.

Then, it's back to the abandoned herb garden for me.



Although not made from the herb itself, and made with essential oil, I whipped up a quick bottle of Lavender Antiseptic and Calming Spritzer.  I can spray it on my bedding, and I plan on misting the inside of my car with it too.





Our first butterfly came for a visit, and this is early for us.  They typically swoop in when the zinnias are in bloom.  



Some of our roses are finally blooming now.  Despite lack of rain.

I apologize for not being up to date in reading blogs lately.  I'll try to get caught up soon.  Hubby and I have a lot to do by this weekend, not including the garden(s).  With little time to fence the back of the property, we have come up with plan B.  We will need some "Do Not Enter" tape for this planOur nuisance neighbor has that so-called big party coming up and we don't know how many will be camping all week.  Since I last updated you all, more bands of the original schedule in which tickets were sold, have dropped out.  More are asking for refunds.

I better tally-ho, and get this body going.  I overslept (yikes), but maybe I needed it.  No rain in the forecast today.  Hubby has been enjoying taking his motorcycle to work, but I have not enjoyed the job of watering the garden.  I keep telling myself not to complain about this.  At least we are not getting flooded out. 


4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

We must be getting some of the rain you're not! I have been working in the garden in between showers. Luckily, even though we've had tons of rain, I can still plant in the raised beds. In the field garden, not so much. So I'm just watching the weeds grow in there.

Hope all of the illness leaves your house soon!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Mama Pea. One last kiddo to get better. No rain yet. Still very very dry.

RB said...

It all looks so lovely. I haven't seen many butterflies here yet, but the hummingbirds are flitting around with abandon. I need to get their feeders cleaned tomorrow because I work Sunday and Tuesday, and I don't get much done on the days when I work.
I pulled something in my back hanging out clothes. I hope it gets better by Sunday or it'll be hard to work but I'm scheduled, so I'll go in.
I pray everyone has a safe and blessed weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you RB, I hope your back feels better soon, and you have a blessed weekend as well.