Skip to main content

It's Cooling Down!

My future goal is to have enough space for a good supply of sweet potatoes in a root cellar.  We are finding ways to swap out white for sweet potatoes more often, but I still like my red potatoes.  

Although a lack of rain is getting me a bit worried, I am keeping things watered.  The green onions looked terrible, but I found enough to whip up another sweet potato salad to go with our dinner (or be the dinner since the temperature was 91 degrees out).
The temperature is cooling down for us, but no rain yet.

Not sure if I'll get a root cellar this year.  Although the lack of rain would make it conducive to get it built, Hubby's long hours are a bit overwhelming.  

Shell peas are starting to come one.  I am picking a few here and there and they look wonderful.

I'm thrilled with my bathroom scale this week.  For three years I struggled to keep extra weight off, and now I'm down again.  That's a total of 18.6 pounds since Hubby bought the Harley, and a grand total of 29.6 pounds from my heaviest of three years ago.  Could it be the brazil nuts?  Overall healthy eating?  A combination of everything and exercise?  I don't know, but I'm sticking with it.  My nails are going crazy too.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Big, big congratulations on the wonderful weight loss! We've cut out desserts for the past few months, except for special occasions, and I know I've lost some weight. I haven't stepped on a scale in years, but I can tell my pants are looser. Ain't it a great feeling?
Sam I Am...... said…
Good for you on the weight and the nails and eating healthy! Those peas do look beautiful along with all those healthy things on your plate. Keep up the good work! You're motivating me!
Debby Flowers said…
congrats on the weight loss Kristina! It's been a lifelong struggle for me too, but sure do feel better at a healthy weight!
Mama Pea, it is a great feeling for sure.
Thank you Sam I Am. I'm glad I am motivating you.
Debby, it feels great to have a healthier weight. I felt like I was walking every day for nothing until now.
Nancy In Boise said…
It's been 100 here all week :( Just lots of water and glad for our mulch!
Little Homestead, we would be hurting here if it got that hot. We have not had rain.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart