Skip to main content

How I Make Garlic Powder from Dehydrated Home Grown Garlic

 Our weather is all over the map. One day it was sunny and 65°F, the next dreary and rain all day, and then the next?  Cold and snow.  Yep.  That's how it's been.  Now we roll into a a cold snap.

I have had some later than usual work.  I filled the dehydrator with parchment lined paper, and got busy with about 10 heads (or bulbs) of home grown garlic.  I apologize to those who have already read posts about making garlic powder. 


Back in 2020 I hosted an online Pampered Chef party to help out a friend.  Never in my life did I think so many people would order, and I ended up with lots of free items.  Two items were the garlic peeler and slicer.  The above is the "peeler" for the garlic cloves.  You do separate the head of garlic, then place a few cloves inside the tube, and roll it back and forth in with the palm of your hand.  The dried peeling will crack and very easily come off the clove of garlic.





I use disposable latex gloves for this job.  Garlic will make your hands smell for days if you do not.  





The slicer unit top comes off, and you insert the peeled cloves into both sides of the inner compartment.  Place the top back on, and using both hands, twist the top, and the slices come out the bottom onto your pre-lined trays for the dehydrator.








Dehydrate according to the dehydrator instructions.  



I use a coffee grinder, used solely for grinding dehydrated foods, and grind the pieces into powder.  I store it in my pantry and use for all things delicious, and homemade dry mixes.

I have heard that some newer ovens, and some air fryers have options for "dehydrating" foods, if you do now own a dehydrator. 

How I Make Garlic Powder from Dehydrated Home Grown Garlic  ©  January 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

R's Rue said…
Looks so good. Happy Monday.
rsrue.blogspot.com
Betsy said…
We've had the same sort of weather. I''m beginning to think that we live close to each other! Today is in the 50's. Tomorrow too and then it will get cold again.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Betsy, it has been the most craziest winter weather yet.
Leigh said…
Beautiful garlic and a great tutorial. I didn't know oven were coming with dehydrating options! That's a good idea.
Faith said…
Beautiful garlic bulbs. I imagine that it smells pretty good at your house.
Leigh, I have heard from a few people, that their new stoves have a dehydrator option on them. It would eliminate a large appliance on the counter top most of the year too.
Thanks Faith, yes it smelled like a pizzeria in the house.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart