Skip to main content

Pea Soup ~ It's Cold Out

 



First time to cook with organic split green peas.  If I have, it's been a very long time, and we cannot find these (organic) in our area stores.  I re-stocked while out restocking, where bulk foods are so much less expensive. Of course seasonings are dried herbs from the garden (other than the bay leaf).

I can say, that we loved the soup, but I adjusted a soup recipe from stove top to crock pot (again).  The split peas do break down in a crock pot soup, but I will be buying more of them, especially over winter months.  I will be using a different meat next time too I think.  We did not have "Farmers Sausage" so I adapted, but still good.

The recipe is from Mennonites Girls can Cook - Anderson's Pea Soup.

It will be 14 degrees warmer today, but the bitter cold plans to return again.  I am so busy making up for the 6 weeks of not being able to clean like I normally clean/upkeep, but it's getting done.  I completely forgot to get a photo of the current book.  



Comments

Leigh said…
Pea soup is an annual winter favorite here. Every Christmas Eve my son hosts lunch with a ham he gets from his company. They always give me some to take home including the bone. That bone goes into a big batch of split pea soup. So yummy and comforting.
Leigh, we did not host a Christmas meal, so there was no ham bone this past season for us. We will be adding a ham bone and ham next time we make it. I may need to buy ham hocks from the store, but yes, it would make a delicious soup.
Faith said…
I've always liked pea soup, never made it. We have some ham in the freezer, I do not have the peas, which I will remedy when I go shopping, other beans no peas.
Faith, I was shocked at how filling the soup is. Most soups leave me hankering a half of a sandwich with it. Very good.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart