Skip to main content

Little of This ~ Little of That

 

Mondays are always hard, as it's back to the grind, and no sleeping in.  I, however, took advantage of the day and the 60-some degree weather.  Laundry went on the line, I worked a bit in one of the vegetable gardens, and I did some indoor painting.  I also got some porch reading time in, and boy the weather was fantastic.

I've learned in our area, that you need to just drop whatever you indoor plans are on good spring days, and get outside.  The weather has quickly turned to rain, thunderstorms, and high wind warnings.

Breakfasts were finally decided on, and I pulled more frozen garden pumpkin puree from the freezer, along with some holiday diced ham we froze, and frozen garden grown bell peppers.

Freezer meal planning progress . . .
Meaning using the freezer items as a meal prep start.




(Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole:  The Real Food Dietitians online.  I had to put foil on top and bake longer, because the center was not cooked all the way).

I made us some Einkorn flour pumpkin pancakes and a ham and egg breakfast casserole.  I have more frozen garden pumpkin puree, so I'll be looking for more new recipes to try. 

The ham and egg casserole was a new recipe to try.  It was similar to the egg cups with ham, but in a 9 x 9 pan instead.  

The bottom layer of it requires flour, so the next time I will try Einkorn flour and reduce the milk.  Any advice for swapping all purpose flour with Einkorn all-purpose flour when baking?

Has anyone made their own date syrup?  I bought organic dates, but I need a small batch recipe, not one with a pound of dates.  I did not get medjool either, they simply say "organic" on the label.  I'm thinking of making some for pancakes/waffles, but would need a recipe for 1 cup of dates.  Just not sure on the amount of water to use.

We've located a resource for "lightly" pasteurized goat milk.  It's a bit of a drive, but we will stock up soon.  We have yet to locate "raw" goat milk.  Does anyone know if I can make cheese with this type of milk?  I used to make all sorts of cheese when we had raw milk from our own Lamancha goats, and I do miss it.


Garden notes for the end of March:
-any and all plastic/stakes were removed from the garden for tilling

-chives and green onions have recovered from the recent snow

-garlic looks a bit dry, but there is rain falling now

-more egg shells were added to another area of the vegetable garden

-potato starts have been purchased, and I'll be placing them in a cardboard box to grow sprouts for planting

-rhubarb is up and look good, it's too early for asparagus just yet, and we need a new raised bed, as we plan to move the rhubarb plants this spring, asparagus bed needs weeded, but I will wait for the shoots to come up first

-I will not be putting out my mole-chasing windmill until these high winds stop, but it will be going up after that.

Comments

Tressa said…
The breakfast casserole looks tasty. Does the mole chasing windmill work? If so where did you purchase it?
Faith said…
surprisingly my Rhubarb popped up I thought it was dead. I have one Asparagas plant, it was the 1st year last year, so this will be the 2nd year if it comes back. It is very windy here today in NE Ohio. Wonder what it is bringing with it? Happy Easter to you & your family Kristina.
Debi said…
You are making great garden progress! We still have snow so we'll have to wait til we get back from Virginia to start our outdoor gardening.
Tressa, it does work, but we have a lot of area and only one installed. It's near the vegetable garden and it keeps them out of the there. We got it from Lehman's. You have to buy a ground rod from your hardware store for it. We have another one to install in another area.
Thank you Faith, Happy Easter to you too.
Debi, I am hoping we are done with snow here.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart