Skip to main content

Local Eats ~ Book Goals ~ Sweet Energy Treat

 

The sun finally made an appearance!  Boy it was nice.  I got out of the house and got a few smallish errands done.  The library was first, but I also made a visit to the local orchard.  The only thing we needed was local honey, but I picked up some locally made apple cider and some red delicious apples that were on sale.  I'm thinking apple oatmeal breakfast bake, pork chops and apples, and more.

I also made a trip to a Dollar General, but for specific things, and to price check (to see if digital coupons were worth it).  I did notice that they have kitchen sponge/scrubbers and cleaning brushes in two different locations in the store. One had them at $1.00 each, and the other area had them more expensive.  

I stocked up on kitchen sponges, cleaning brushes (they come in handy for cleaning chicken watering units, the bathtub, and other things), and some very inexpensive toothbrushes for cleaning purposes.  I keep a few toothbrushes in my cleaning caddy for smaller space/area cleaning.

As for the digital coupons with Dollar General, I am on the fence so to speak.  I'm going to price check a few things, but for now I am not signing up.


I'm on a roll with reading through my bookshelf books this year.  I am still using the library, but for non-fiction books mostly.  I like to help keep them in business.

Anyway, I was able to start this book on the porch, although the sun was out, the wind was a bit chilly.   After talking to my husband, I think I bought this book a few years ago at an antique store, that had a book seller.  It just got put in a hidden location when we started ripping carpet out to repair floors and joists.  Well, the book  was found, and I'm almost halfway through it already.

Energy bites.  They are light and delicious.  I have made so many different recipes for these, but after buying some while in Amish country, reading the ingredients, and trying to find a copycat recipe, we did.  The ones sold in Amish country are much denser (thickly rolled), and have a few more ingredients.  

These were a bit tricky to roll, but after cooling the ingredients in the fridge first, they rolled up nicely.  They are light, not dense, and boy are they good.  I may even cut back on the mini chocolate chips.  The recipe is online at Gimme some Oven - No-Bake Energy Bites.  I adapted the recipe with organic/non-gmo ingredients.

I plan to make the energy bites this summer, and put some in the freezer, to have on hand for hot work days in the garden.

Comments

Mother Em said…
You've got six more NYPD Red books to go...just checked one of hubby's shelves and it goes up to 7. There are no less than 22 bookshelves throughout the house for all his books! Mercy me and I don't read by the way.

Have made these energy bites over the years and they are soooooo good.

Have a great weekend. Lots of rain coming this way tonight/tomorrow, more flooding.

Mary in GA
Mother Em, this book is the only one I have. I did not know it was a series. Thanks for that info. Yes, the energy bites are so good. We are getting rain too. Have a nice weekend.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart