Skip to main content

Sweet Potato Breakfast "Bowl"


Today I am sharing how I made these delicious breakfast "bowls" by starting with sweet potatoes.

The first time I made these, I used organic hannah sweet potatoes, and this second time I used locally grown sweet potatoes (which both were very good).

Prepare fresh spinach, by cleaning it, and then slicing it.  Set aside.  I used two bundles of fresh spinach.  Set aside


Prepare homemade cilantro-lime sauce.

In a food processer, mix 2 full cups of cleaned organic (or home grown) cilantro and:

-1/2 cup organic plain Greek yogurt (I have yet to use homemade for this), plus more to thicken to your taste

-juice from one lime (not the bottled kind)

-1 small can of organic salsa verde (or homemade), or about 14 Tbsp.  (cut the recipe in half to reduce the amount, but we really like the sauce on this breakfast dish)

-2 cloves of garlic, minced

-about 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper

Process until smooth, and like I mentioned above, add extra yogurt to make your sauce as thick as you like. 

(I pack this separate to pack a breakfast to go)


Clean and dice some garden green onions (I also pack these separate for a breakfast to go).  Set aside.


1.  Wash, peel and dice enough sweet potatoes for your family.  I cut up about 3-4, depending on size.  Roast them in a stove top pan, using oil, salt and pepper and 1/2 tsp. of homemade garlic powder.  I have not used freshly minced yet, but will be trying that next time.  Set aside.  I use this as our first layer in the "bowls" I created.

2. Rinse and drain 1 can of organic black beans, and add that to a stove top pan, along with 1  1/2 cups organic frozen corn (I do not thaw mine).  I heated this up with some cumin (give it a taste test to your liking), until heated throughout.  Set aside (second layer of the breakfast).

3. Dice one onion, and add the same amount of diced bell peppers (I used frozen bell pepper from the garden).  Heat until both are cooked. I added salt and pepper.  Keep in the pan.  Add your prepared spinach, and cook down.  Set aside (third layer in this breakfast).

4. Cook two eggs.  Layer as I did, and top with homemade cilantro-lime sauce.  I prepared bacon the second time I made this and added a few slices to the top.  

To serve, layer ingredients and enjoy.  I prepare everything ahead of time, then I reheat each morning, layer and cook two eggs per breakfast.  Top the eggs with the sauce and diced green onions.  Add bacon if you want that too.  Delicious and healthy.

I know this all sounds like a lot of work, but it was very good and worth the work.  I got the idea from a dish that Bob Evans now has on their menu.  I have not tried their version, but I looked it up online and re-created it with my own ingredients here at the homestead (based on what they say is in their "bowl").

Sweet Potato Breakfast "Bowl"  © Mar 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Jackie said…
That looks so good. Thanks for sharing how you made it.

God bless.
Jackie, it was fantastic. We had it two weeks in a row, because I had leftover sauce. I will be making it again, and we may even be planting sweet potatoes this year. So good!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart