Skip to main content

Growing Sprouts for the Chickens

 Last summer, the lentil sprouts I grew in the sprout jars did great.  However, this past month they would not sprout much at all.  I thought I had bought bad lentils, and refilled the jars with new lentils.  Again, it was a week and a half, and hardly any sprouts.

I figured out what was hindering the germination - salt in the water softener hooked to our well water.  I didn't even think about it.  Apparently, the salt was shut off for watering the garden in the morning last year.  At the same time the sprouts were rinsed.  Makes sense.  No salt in the well water.

Also, if your house is too cold in winter, it can also hinder your lentils from sprouting.  Humidity can play a part in sprouts vs. no sprouts as well.

Another fact, is that our well water is freezing cold this time of year.  It's pretty cold year round, but during winter, it is very cold. I have to set water out to get to room temperature, just to water plants.  

I started a new jar of lentils, and soaked them in room temperature water, and did the daily rinse with lukewarm water as well.






We have sprouts!  The chickens are super happy!  It only took 3 days to sprout.  I used a 1/2 cup of dry lentils, soaked them overnight, and rinsed each day after.  I have a sprout tray, that holds the jars at a slant (and catches any water), and black out jar covers.  In the past I covered them with a towel to block the light out, so you don't need a fancy tray (I do like mine however).

Growing Sprouts for the Chickens   © March 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

My favorite seed to sprout are radishes. The sprouts are fantastic in salads.
Anne in the Kitchen, we do have seeds to sprout radishes and broccoli for us too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart