Skip to main content

Wild Violet Jelly ~ Garden Tidbits





My homestead has a somewhat good amount of wild violets.  



I was itching to pick some wild purple violets, for my "new" jelly to try this year.  I've never made it and we had a very busy weekend.  So...I picked the violets....



...made my "tea", and let it set for 24 hours.  I placed in the  refrigerator for about 2-3 days, then took it out to make the jelly.


The final result is a very pretty pink.  I used the recipe (1/4 inch head space in the jars) from Rebecca at Rebecca's Hearth and Home Blogspot.  The jelly is delicious.  Almost like grape, better.  A sort of fruity flavor.

My kitchen smelled so good too.  Even the kids came home and said, "what were you cooking that smells so good."

That's not all I got done yesterday.  I got my carrots, turnips, two types of radishes, chard and collards planted.  I worked on the asparagus patch too.  The heat is drying up the ground though, so I am not sure I'll get anything weeded today either.  I may have to wait for this next rain tomorrow (or whenever it shows up).


Comments

Susan said…
Oh, that jelly is beautiful! I sure wish I had violets - I've got lots of Johnny Jump-Ups, but no violets. You are way ahead of me, planting-wise.
Susan, I have yet to get more kale in too. Ugh. I had to run to town for more carrot seeds as well. I didn't order enough this year. The jelly is fantastic. I hope I have more to violets after this next rain.
Rebecca Knox said…
Hello, Kristina! I'm so sorry! For some reason I don't get notifications when you leave a comment and I just now found your comments on my blog. I am so excited that you made the jelly! How did it turn out? Did you like the flavor? We loved it! I left about a half-inch head space when I made mine. Am looking forward to hearing more about your experience! Blessings! ~Rebecca
mamasmercantile said…
I can only imagine the smell of those beautiful violets. There is no problem with rain here it is the sun we are lacking at the moment.
Rebecca,we love the jelly!! I found out you can make the "tea" for the jelly and also freeze it until you are ready to make the jelly. I would love to make another batch if I have more violets. Thanks so much!
mamasmercantile, we got a bit of rain, so I am looking forward to more violets.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart