Skip to main content

Dry Days ~ More Rain

We finally had a few dry days, which for me meant weeding.  Lots of weeding and a garden hoe.  Although not completely weeded out, I dropped my zinnia seeds into the flower beds, as rain is coming back today.  I also planted my rosemary, lavender, and dropped some miner's lettuce seeds.  I also got my lavender and rosemary planted.




Asparagus is still coming up too.




I brought in the smallest egg ever the other night.  I was surprised it had a yolk, ha ha!



On my to-do list for a month now - homemade lip balm.  I use the recipe from Mountain Rose Herbs.  I had a few of the tubes left (which are easier for me to carry on Harley rides), but the tins are super easy to fill, hold more, and are much easier to wash and repeat.


It's official.  Zuri is now our daughter's emotional support animal.  I'm sure King will be too.



I need a poison ivy exterminator, ha ha!  Yep.  That's all poison ivy.  It's been either too windy or raining to try and kill it off too.


Every time I go out and see the un-mowed grass, I see those very tall dandelions and have this on the "try-it" list now.


A friend told me about making fake hornets nests to deter the bumble bees. I was desperate to try anything, as my mountain dew trap caught zero bees.  I put two on the porch and wa-la!  No bees.  You just take a brown paper bag, fill it with something to keep it puffed out, and hang it where the bees are an issue.  I'm making two more and hanging them in the barn were they are worse.  Actually, I am making Hubby hang them up, ha ha!  He's not afraid to walk through a shlew of them to do it.



I finished the scarf order and moved onto another porch friendly project.  Porch friendly is simply a smaller, hand held project that doesn't heat up my lap.

I'm up early to weed out a few more areas, bring in the edible weeds to dehydrate, before the rain arrives.  Have a wonderful weekend!



Comments

mamasmercantile said…
Great tip for unwanted bee, I will remember that. The lip balm looks good I am going to give the recipe a try, just waiting for the tins I ordered on line to arrive.
mamasmercantile, we love the lip balm. It works great and no preservatives. So for the fake hornet's nests are working on the porch.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart