Skip to main content

Coffee Cubes

It's a very short post today folks.  So much to do, so little time.  I am so far behind on our vegetable/fruit garden it's not even funny.

Although nothing homesteady (is that even a word?) in this post, here goes. . .


The sunrise was just beautiful this morning.  Although both Hubby and are sleep deprived, we sipped hot coffee on the porch.  We've see deer, and today (oh joy) a fox.  We've also had a visit more than once from our hummingbird and a few woodpeckers.



A family member has permission to hunt for morels in a wooded area.  We enjoyed some the other day, in a cajun coating.  We got our dose of vitamin D, potassium and iron.

Normally, I'd pour leftover coffee around the rose bushes, but this time I froze it in an ice cube tray.  Normally, I do not have leftover coffee, but one of the daughters makes a pot every time she comes home, and leaves half the pot (will be so glad if this apartment move works out, and it can't happen sooner).


Hubby puts his coffee in a thermos in the morning, and it keeps the coffee super hot.  Too hot.  He adds ice.  Now he can add ice without watering down his coffee. That's my homemaking tip today.

Comments

Susan said…
That is a great idea! As we get nearer to iced coffee season (for me), I usually make a full pot and keep it in the fridge - but it would be even better to freeze half in cubes!
Susan, I don't know why I didn't think to do it earlier. And yes, iced coffee is about in season too, ha ha!
mamasmercantile said…
Such a great tip. Thank you for sharing.
You are welcome mamasmercantile

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart