Skip to main content

Dandelion Poultice ~ Cleaver Poultices

Spring weeds are here now.  I wonderful time to gather, eat,  and store. I put some weed pesto in the freezer already.  I weeded about 95% of my herb garden, and all of the weeds, aside from the little bit of grass, were edible (or useful for natural remedies).




I've had quite a few experiences with dandelion since I first made dandelion jelly.  Over the years, I have made dandelion bread (which we absolutely love), dried dandelion for tea purposes, blanched and froze dandelion for meals (we love dandelion pesto), dried the root for a coffee substitute and medicinal purposes, and now I am making poultices.

Dandelion poultices, can be used to treat eczema, skin rashes, boils, and to reduce itchy skin (helps with itchy poison ivy). 

I am putting these poultices together in the freezer, like I do with comfrey and plantain.  There is nothing more comforting than a cold poultice in the summer, for an itchy rash too.

I am also putting cleaver poultices in to the freezer (as well as dehydrating some for medicinal purposes).  Cleaver weed poultices can be used to treat burns and even sunburn.  Spring is the only time I am able to pick this weed.  It's often found growing directly in my garden and will stick you like glue.  



Dandelion Poultice ~ Cleaver Poultices ©  May 2018 by Kristina at https://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

Comments

Mama Pea said…
I really envy your knowledge of using natural plants for medicinal purposes. I know you've been interested in it all and have done a lot of studying and research . . . which certainly pays off!
Mama Pea, thank you. I know you can also cook thistle root as a vegetable, but I am not knowledgeable enough on thistle (and which ones) yet. It's fun learning too.
mamasmercantile said…
I too am in awe of your knowledge, it is always a joy to visit and learn something new.
RB said…
Interesting information.
Especially the part about dandelion poltice being useful for poison ivy itch.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
God bless.
RB
<><
mamasmercantile, thank you. I learn from you blog too.
RB, my older brother sent me a newspaper article that I learned that from.
Henny Penny said…
You are so smart! The violet jelly you made is so pretty. You must stay busy all the time.
Henny Penny, we typically don't run out of things to do here, ha ha! There is always work to do, things to put up, and things to make.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart