Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, May 4, 2018

Tidbits ~ Herbed Omelets or Scrambled Eggs

Hubby and I were up at 5am this morning.  Had coffee on the porch before he left for work and I made him a sweet potato (more like an egg hash) burrito.  Both of us were up since about 3am.

I had to laugh this morning.  He asked me to open the door so he could carry his lunch, mug of coffee and half eaten burrito out to the car (truck is still down).  I looked down and he had socks and slippers on, ha ha ha ha!  I had to tell him, "um, hun? You don't have your shoes on."  We laughed and laughed.

It's operation homestead clean up again today.  I was abandoned by all kiddos, so I didn't have any help, but today I will.  More spider traps are going in place again too.

I don't see that it even rained last night, so we'll dig out more porch furniture.  I put a few pieces out yesterday, but golly, there is more to tidy up than I thought.



I love the last mix of herbs I made a jar of ("Fire it Up" or what we call "Full Throttle"), and now I have a new combination for making cheese omelets.

However, the first time I used this mix of herbs, I simply scrambled my eggs, and left the cheese out.

Herbed Omelets
1 tsp. parsley
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. tarragon
1 tsp. rosemary
1 tsp. thyme

I love scrambled eggs made with a bit of butter, so I use about 2 tsp. organic olive oil, with 1 tsp. organic butter (3 eggs) and a bit of milk (maybe 1/4 cup or less).

To make omelets use 1/4 cheese, or leave out to scramble.

Make a souffle with this herb mix, or a frittata too.

The tarragon in this mix tastes pretty good with eggs.  I tried it on my peas and didn't like it on that so much.  Oh, our garden peas in the freezer are officially out now.  


We'll have two new babies born this month, one possibly today.  It's the daughter to one of our nieces.  So that would make her (the new baby) our great grand niece?   

I can't believe it's Friday already.   I'm already on our second pot of coffee and ready to tackle today.  As soon as this weekend is over, it's back to the veggie garden.  It's a busy, family filled weekend for us.

On a last note, and a good one, I sent an email to one of our youngest daughter's teachers.  During the funeral week, she took a test and got 15 out of 15, but forgot to put her name on the paper.  The teacher gave her a zero.  I explained what was going on, and she immediately corrected the grade, keeping her GPA up where it was.

On another scary note, we discovered someone trying to steal her identity.  First, Hubby put our insurance as paperless, so the emails to go him, not me (so I can't keep track of it).  Anyway, he got emails that our youngest daughter was in a hospital in MI.  $3,000 in bills.  We have identity theft, so the claims were all put in as fraudulent.  It's a scary world right now, and we'll be watching every doctor appt the kids have from now on.

Have a blessed weekend!

Note:  I read somewhere in one of my herbal books that tarragon helps reduce artery build up. If I locate the source again, I'll be sure to post it here.






3 comments:

Rain said...

That's crazy about the identity theft, my gosh...I'm glad you were able to settle it though, and with her grade. That's funny about your hubby in his slippers, I know I've done that too lol!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, we are paperless billing with our insurance (for claims etc) and I'm thankful Hubby read his email. I'm thankful we have identity theft protection too. Yeah, watching him go out in his slippers was pretty funny.

mamasmercantile said...

We live in frightening times, fraudulent crimes are certainly on the rise.