Skip to main content

Treating Scars ~ Venomous Spider Bite Update

The post you've all been waiting for (maybe). . . 

I have had a nasty scar on my leg, left from a venomous spider, and have been putting homemade calendula cream on it for over a year now.

Did you know that calendula has the properties to help new skin growth?  I just learned this even though I was already using the cream/lotion.  It has helped too.

Warning:  Graphic photos.  If you do not want to see the bite before and after (some of the before) do NOT click to continue reading.


I regret not taking a photo the day I was bitten.  It was simply a painful red area with a red ring a bit outside of the bite mark.   The next day it was a huge (tall) filled blister and the outer ring turned black.  The  next photo you see is what I was dealing with, when I had an ignorant doctor who saw money and that was it, and prescribed me the wrong antibiotics not only for the pneumonia I had at the time, but also for the spider bite.   

Actually two doctors that didn't take care of me right away - the first told me to put a compress on it and that was it.  Then when it got worse, I went to the second one, and he just saw money coming in, so he made sure I'd come back often (truly the case, and I found out later he was about to go out of business, and was a private practice).

Anyway, the new doctor (my 3rd doctor) simply treated it with the same cream you treat burns, a ton of gauze, and tape.  He put me on Bactrim for a very short time on the onset of meeting with me.  

I followed his instructions, met with him when needed (and way less than the other doctor wanted to see me, who was doing NOTHING for me/it).

I then made calendula cream to use on it religiously, after the bite healed completely.  I had to keep it out of the sun (no problem there), and allow it to heal.  

So...here is the series of photos, not including the bite on my foot, which is almost not even visible now.  These are not even the worst photos either.  

First, I started putting plantain poultices on both bite marks, while seeing the first doctor. I honestly feel this saved my leg and foot from serious damage.



Fighting to get help with the second doctor who robbed me blind, did nothing medically to heal this correctly, and who ignored me when I asked him to look at it each visit which was 3 x week or more.   


I saw my new doctor August 28th, of 2017.  Amazing results.






This photo is somewhat bad quality, but you can see the scar healing.  I also put the calendula cream on my old camping scar, which is almost gone.

I am working on another scar treatment, so I will have another update after it's been applied for several months.

Advice - if you see unfamiliar bite that hurts go straight to the ER.  Me? I would put a plantain poultice on it while going to ER.


Comments

Mama Pea said…
Good gosh! That horrible wound from a spider bite! Thank heaven you knew the natural remedies to use. Otherwise, I'm afraid it would have been MUCH worse!
Goatldi said…
Well good for you and me. Me? I planted to seed a large amount of Calendula in the bee, butterfly, hummingbird garden. Good information to have. I knew it was great for many things but it just gets better.
mamasmercantile said…
My goodness such an amazing improvement. I am certainly grateful for our NHS service.
Yarrow said…
Wow! That's an amazing result! I had a mysterious bite on my foot last week, possibly an non-venomous spider, but my whole foot swelled like a balloon! My Dr was great, despite not speaking English, lol :D All better now and I'm glad you sorted out a treatment in the end.
Mama Pea, I honestly feel putting the plantain poultices on right away saved my leg. The first two doctors were so ignorant to the bite too.
Goatldi, calendula is very handy to have. I use it in my lip balm too.
mamasmercantile, I knew something was very wrong when I didn't recognize the bite as anything we get around here. It was very different and painful.
Yarrow, so glad you have a good doctor. I'm glad I found one before it was too late (had to wait too long to get in to see him too).
Nancy In Boise said…
My daughter had a nasty spider bit on her arm when she was about 10, with a red streak up her arm. I took her straight to urgent care, got antibiotic shot/pills/ointment. It took 6 months to heal up, but better than if I hadn't seen it! Luckily we got a great PA. Sucks to have incompetent staff.
Nancy, I sure miss my old doctors. They knew what they were doing.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart