Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Tisanes

A tisane is basically an herbal tea (used medicinally or for enjoyment), created the same way you make an infusion or decoction.  They can be enjoyed hot or cold and may be for simply enjoyment or medicinal purposes.  The only difference I have found with a traditional tisane, is that it is made with barley.  


I made my first "tisane" using two simple ingredients - cardomom pods and anise star.  I cracked open 6 organic cardamom pods (green), and used 2 anise stars.  Basically a "seed" tisane.

Anise star is good for aiding digestion (bloating, constipation, gas).  It's also beneficial in treating colds and flu.  I use anise star to flavor canned pear jam, and I use cardamom in my homemade ginger ale.

There is a lot of sickness going around again, most likely due to the change of weather from warm to cold, to warm to cold rotation.  The long winter hasn't helped.  I am hearing of people with the flu, sinus infections, colds, swollen lymph nodes, etc.


The tisane has a pale yellow color when it's all brewed.  I first wanted to make this for a "wake me up" morning drink, but it has so many health benefits too.  It's not something you want to sip at bed time, or you won't get any sleep.  It's an invigorating tisane.

If you have experience brewing a tisane with barley, I'd love to hear about it.  





6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Gosh, I haven't heard the word "tisane" in a long time.

No experience brewing a tisane with barley, but I'll drink yours that is an invigorating tisane! :o)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, It had a very light taste to it, but refreshing. I would be a nice cool drink on a hot summer day too.

Susan said...

Barley is out for me, but I like the idea of a tisane. I am anxiously awaiting my nettles and am looking forward to doing more planting in my medicinal herb bed.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I went out to check my nettles and they are not up yet. Last year, this very week, I was dehydrating it by the ton. Our spring has just not sprung yet. I do like the flavor of the tisane without the barley too. Refreshing. I may be trying some more this summer.

Luludou said...

Never thought of using barley. but tisane! :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Luludou, I have not made one with barley yet.