Skip to main content

Tisanes

A tisane is basically an herbal tea (used medicinally or for enjoyment), created the same way you make an infusion or decoction.  They can be enjoyed hot or cold and may be for simply enjoyment or medicinal purposes.  The only difference I have found with a traditional tisane, is that it is made with barley.  


I made my first "tisane" using two simple ingredients - cardomom pods and anise star.  I cracked open 6 organic cardamom pods (green), and used 2 anise stars.  Basically a "seed" tisane.

Anise star is good for aiding digestion (bloating, constipation, gas).  It's also beneficial in treating colds and flu.  I use anise star to flavor canned pear jam, and I use cardamom in my homemade ginger ale.

There is a lot of sickness going around again, most likely due to the change of weather from warm to cold, to warm to cold rotation.  The long winter hasn't helped.  I am hearing of people with the flu, sinus infections, colds, swollen lymph nodes, etc.


The tisane has a pale yellow color when it's all brewed.  I first wanted to make this for a "wake me up" morning drink, but it has so many health benefits too.  It's not something you want to sip at bed time, or you won't get any sleep.  It's an invigorating tisane.

If you have experience brewing a tisane with barley, I'd love to hear about it.  





Comments

Mama Pea said…
Gosh, I haven't heard the word "tisane" in a long time.

No experience brewing a tisane with barley, but I'll drink yours that is an invigorating tisane! :o)
Mama Pea, It had a very light taste to it, but refreshing. I would be a nice cool drink on a hot summer day too.
Susan said…
Barley is out for me, but I like the idea of a tisane. I am anxiously awaiting my nettles and am looking forward to doing more planting in my medicinal herb bed.
Susan, I went out to check my nettles and they are not up yet. Last year, this very week, I was dehydrating it by the ton. Our spring has just not sprung yet. I do like the flavor of the tisane without the barley too. Refreshing. I may be trying some more this summer.
Luludou said…
Never thought of using barley. but tisane! :)
Luludou, I have not made one with barley yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart