Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

One refrigerator has been successfully disinfected, cleaned out and reorganized.  Whew.   One more step ahead of garden season.  I got a few other chores marked off my list too.  It's been cold and raining.  The weatherman was wrong about a 62°F day.  Brr.  Today however, it's already 36°F, but that's our high too.  I believe we'll need to cut wood tonight.  


I haven't had enough good weather days to get back to the barn debris, but one day while taking old man Jesse out, I found a gem in this pile.  I took it to the house.  I hope to have an update on what I did with the "gem."  It may not happen for a few months, as Hubby goes to nights pretty soon (he is working a temporary supervisor night shift for a while).  I'll need a bit of help from him.  There are many gems in that pile, so I'll be writing down some more ideas as we pick through it.





The other day I had the start of a sinus headache.  Although I had taken my mullein tincture early in the morning, the headache persisted.  I sipped a hot cup of Holy Basil (Tulsi) tea mixed with freshly grated ginger.

Poof!  Headache gone.  Holy basil has the ability to relieve sinus pressure, which is what helps relieve a headache.  Ginger is anti-inflammatory, so tissue swelling reduces. I've also had luck with using either one by themselves for a headache.  I just depends on how bad the headache is.


Many months ago, I mentioned that I plan to learn a new handicraft or two.  It's still in the works, but I just don't know when I'll be starting them.  It's all a matter of cash flow at this point.  We have lots of bigger needs on the list this spring.  



I was woken up by Miss Aurora barn kitty.  She was meowing so loudly outside, and that usually means bad enough weather so she wants in.  Hm.  I hope she's wrong.




Comments

Susan said…
Listen to the kitty! They know way more than any weather reporter. This weather has not been conducive to getting much of anything done outside. Not that there's a lack of things to do inside. Thank you for the reminder that I need to give my fridge a good clean. I was thinking about you this morning, as I took a walk past some of my best stinging nettle beds - I think I see the beginnings of green plants where there's not snow!
Susan, I went out to check on our nettle - nothing yet. I'm super excited for spring weeds too. Yeah, the kitty was right too about the weather.
jewlz said…
I can't tell you how seeing your pile of barn debris relieved my own guilt. I have a similar pile, and have treated it like a dirty little secret that I'm a bit ashamed of LOL.
jewlz, I am glad I helped you feel better. It's been a long project for years. There is no way it'll get cleaned up without help (which is in the planning stages), but I figure I should spend a bit of time using what I can to make what we need too (before it all goes).

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart