Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, April 2, 2018

Happy Homemaker Monday

I'm joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom today.  I hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend.  Oddly, my kids did not try to prank me one time.

Over the weekend, we got a motorcycle ride, joined Hubby's family for Easter dinner, took my Dad plate of food, and split more wood.  I think not being prepared with a few years of split wood has finally weighed on my husband's mind.  He keeps saying, "I'm so tired of this, I will have all our wood split before next winter."

Update on my fall:  I had placed a comfrey poultice under my arm where I slammed onto the chair, but not anywhere else.  The bruise was gone in a few days, but last Saturday, I had shoulder pain and two nasty bruises show up on my knee.  




On the breakfast plate. . .


Spinach/parsley/blueberry/banana smoothie, one hard boiled egg and coffee.



The weather outside is. . .

This winter is really getting on everyone's nerves.  Woke up to 24°F, with a possible high of 47°F.  Tomorrow?  High of 64°F, low of 36 with 80% rain during the day and 100% at night.  Then Wednesday, only a high of 40°F and a low of 27°F.  Friday night we dip down to 21°F if they are correct.  We were told a possible chance of flurries last night.  Yes.  Flurries.  


What I'm reading . . .
Tons of library books, my Bible


On the TV . . .
McCleod's Daughters 


On the to-do list this week . . .
Kitchen:
-Make nettle tea infusion
-Make bowls of condensed mushroom soup for the freezer
-Make homemade teriyaki sauce
-Make a crock pot of pumpkin steel cut oats

Regular Chores:
-Carpets/Sweep floors/Mop - some delegated
-Laundry
-Master bath
-Kitchen bathroom - delegated
-Dishes - delegated
-Dust
-Water plants

Outdoor, Deep Clean, and Misc. work:
-Burn down the brush pile
-Muck coop if the rain stops 
-start cleaning up floor of wood barn (lots and lots of bark and wood chips)
-Clean back refrigerator (used for storing homemade recipe ingredients, garden surplus, pickling jars, etc).  I have had this on the list for a while, but it's been too cold to do it.  It's back on the list with another attempt on a warmer day.
-Finish seeding radish pods
-Crack more walnuts
-Take a load to the thrift store


On the menu this week . . .
Chicken teriyaki
Tuna stuffed potatoes, asparagus, mashed sweet potatoes
Fish, brussel sprouts and green beans
Sweet potato chili
Dandelion/pumpkin seed pesto pasta, veggie
Corn chowder
Leftovers


If I have a few minutes to myself I will . . .
Well, maybe work on  my Scrap blogspot, write, read, or even crochet.  Not sure.  Depends on the weather outside today too.  I'd love to get some porch time.



New recipe I tried this week or want to try. . .
-Mexican chia seed scrambled egg wraps.  I'm excited to try this one, but not sure if I will get it made this week or next. 



Homemaking Tip . . .
I have been going through a ton of those mini sticky note markers lately.  Then I thought, "Hm."  I could save a bit of cash if I used some sort of junk mail or scrap paper of some sort instead.  Then it hit me - expired coupons.  I now clip my expired coupons together, and have them nearby when reading a book and needing to mark the pages for a later date of taking notes, getting a recipe idea, etc.  The expired coupons do not have the ability to damage the book pages as a "sticky" note or note marker does, and I can pull the expired coupons out, clip them together and use them the next time I need them. 


What I am crocheting, knitting, sewing or creating . . .
Pot holder set.  


From the camera. . . 




Bible verse, Devotional, Quote, or Gratitude. . .

I am thankful for books
I am thankful for used book stores
I am thankful for friends
I am thankful for sunshine
I am thankful for God's Protection





14 comments:

Rebecca Knox said...

Mmmmm...your smoothie looks delicious! As for the weather getting on your nerves...I hear you! The same here! Love your clothes line photos! I so want to get a clothes line up here this summer! Have a blessed week ahead and, hopefully, the weather will warm up a bit soon!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Rebecca. The smoothie was delicious. I had some spinach I needed to use up, and we are a bit on the low side of egg production right now.

Jean said...

Beautiful blue skies in your photos! I like the expired coupon idea, I don't clip coupons often but we get enough junk mail that I could use the ones from those. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Rain said...

I LOVE chicken teriyaki! That'll be a nice meal. Your smoothie looks delish and I really love the photo of the laundry hanging! :)

Shellie Almond said...

Loved your pictures of the quilts and linens ! I hope you have a great week!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jean, I have daughter who loves to clip coupons for our organic food purchases. When I can't use them, I typically toss them. Thanks!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Rain. I get my most fitness steps on laundry day and it gets me some fresh air and vitamin D.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Shellie

Tracey said...

The laundry on the line makes me happy.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Tracy, it smells wonderful too.

Luludou said...

Laundry on the line! smells so good. Can't wait to hear how you liked the chia recipe. Have a great week.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Luludou, I'm glad I put all my laundry out, as it rained all day the next day. I just need to do some grocery shopping to make the chia recipe.

threesidesofcrazy said...

I'm running super late this week, but wanted to make sure and stop by. Hope you had a WONDERFUL week!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Tamy, I'm getting around late too.